20 | the happy couple

Jess couldn't understand Elijah's reluctance to inform Kylie of their latest change of plans; but in an almost desperate attempt to please him and save their relationship, she went along with his wishes.

But days past by and Elijah showed little intention of ever telling Kylie that it was time for her to leave and so once a whole week had passed by since their decision had been made, Jess decided enough was enough and that it was the right time.

"We know it seems really sudden but...we also think it's for the best, not just for us but for you too. You understand, don't you?" Jess postulated, there was no easy way to tell your best friend that she'd overstayed her welcome but it had to be done. Her hand was tightly grasping Elijah's forearm as he stood silently behind her.

"I get it, really I do so don't worry. You guys want to be alone and that's completely understandable." Kylie responded. She couldn't help but notice that Elijah was trying his utmost best to avoid making any eye contact with her and as much as she hated to blame Jess once again, she knew that this was yet another Jess-centred decision.

"That's not all though..," Jess squealed, a sudden strange burse of excitement consuming her being.

"What? You want me out of here within the hour too?" Kylie joked; although the apparent sarcasm that dripped from each syllable was enough to show her dejection at the newly made decision.

"No, stupid. Actually, we've decided to move the wedding date forward. We're getting married in two and a half weeks from today!"

"What?" Kylie murmured. "Two months wasn't soon enough for you guys?"

Elijah cleared his throat, "we just think...after everything we've been through this past month, it could be just the thing to bring us both closer together. To give us the best chance possible of starting again." Again, no eye contact Kylie noted.

"I...I don't know what to say. Congratulations, I suppose?" Kylie pursued her lips and forced a small smile.

"You could at least pretend to be happy for us. We needed some good news...after everything." Jess's whine quickly evolved into a whimper with each word.

"No, I am! I really am! I just don't understand what the rush is... but if you both think this is the best for you, then I support your decision a hundred percent." She leaned forward towards Jess to show her support but it was more than evident to Elijah that the slight uncertainty was targeted at him, and the truth was that he no longer knew what was best for him anymore, let alone what was best for Jess.

"I'm so glad you're on board. It was actually Mum who suggested that we move the dates forward and at first, I was sceptical but now I can see that she was so right about it. I think this is exactly what me and Elijah need. I'm so excited but I'm also starting to panic because the engagement part is on Friday, and oh my god, there's just so much to do!" Jess wittered on to herself, almost as though she'd completely forgotten about Elijah and Kylie's presence.

"Engagement party?" Elijah said, clearly bemused. Elijah could barely remember Jess telling him that moving the wedding date forward had been Pattie's idea and if she'd have told him this small detail whilst suggesting it, he knew he'd surely have thought twice before agreeing. And she certainly hadn't mentioned anything about an engagement party.

"Jess...you can't organise an engagement party in four days. This is absolutely crazy. You didn't even want an engagement party, remember?" Kylie spoke slowly to her friend. Something about Jess felt...off, different. It must be the after-effects of the miscarriage causing her to behave like this, Kylie thought. She remembered doing endless research when she'd had her own and had read how every woman was affected differently and to allow sufficient time to grieve. Maybe this was what Jess needed as a distraction – as absurd as it sounded.

"I know, I know. But so much has changed and I know we'll have to keep it small given how short notice it is but we should have one, shouldn't we Elijah?"

"I guess so...I mean there's nothing wrong with having an engagement party, but how will we be able to find a venue at such short notice?" Elijah asked.

"Oh actually, I've already spoken to Leon and he managed to pull a few strings for us so we've already got the perfect venue for this Friday so the venue is the least of our concerns for Friday." A glimmer was present in her eye.

"Wait...what's Leon got to do with any of this?" Kylie quizzed further; she was nearly certain that her friend was losing her marbles slowly.

"You don't remember the Plaza Hotel? Intermezzo? How could you forget?" Jess tilted her head to one side and then slowly to the opposite.

Kylie's heart began thudding, and she swore she could just about hear Elijah's heartbeat speeding up; almost synchronised with hers. Of course, Kylie knew the Plaza Hotel and the Intermezzo hotel. For it had been just over a month since her and Elijah had been at it like rabbits in one of the posh en-suite bedrooms and later had a lavish dinner in the Intermezzo restaurant. All at the expense of Jess who had lost her baby in an unfortunate accident.

"I..I can explain!" Elijah breathed out; an erratic look in his eyes as he grabbed Jess by her shoulders, panic overcoming his very being.

"Explain what? What are you talking about? The Plaza is owned by Leon's great-grandfather remember? And he took you to the Intermezzo restaurant for your first date, don't you remember, Kylie?" Jess turned from Elijah and back to Kylie as she explained what she meant.

"Oh! Oh yeah...I don't know how I forgot about that." Kylie let out a sigh of relief. Of course, now it made sense, the sense of familiarity when she'd been in the restaurant. Kylie had attempted to wipe away all the memories of her emotional relationship with Leon so it was hardly any surprise as to why she could barely remember their first date. All she remembered from the relationship with Leon was the sexual aspect.

"Yeah, well Leon works in the restaurant now but he was able to make some re-arrangements and so the ballroom is free for us this Friday. He was actually really nice about it all too, more helpful than I remember Leon being, that's for sure." Jess exclaimed.

"Well...I guess you've got nearly everything covered then Jess."

"Yeah, it's mainly just the invites I need to send out to close friends and family members tonight. Oh, and I still have to organise what me and Elijah are wearing."

"I can help you with the preparations if you want?" Kylie offered.

"Actually...me and Elijah will be fine doing it on our own. You've got to pack anyway, so I guess we'll leave you to it?" Jess grinned lightly, placing her hand on Elijah's arm and turning to face the door.

"...If you need any help with packing or anything, just let us know, yeah?" Elijah said kindly, surprised at Jess's slightly abhorrent tone towards her best friend.

"Yeah, thanks. I think I'm okay though."

And with that, the happy couple left the room to prepare for what would be one of the best days of their lives. 

-------------------------------------------------------

Authors' Note: So I'm finally back guys! I'm sorry for the long wait for this chapter but as most of you know I'm still at University but I'm on a break for 3 weeks yay! I'm hopefully planning on getting the next 5 chapters out during this break!

I haven't been that impressed with the quality of this chapter and the few that came before it but rest assured the engagement party chapters which will span 4 chapters in total will hopefully make up for my long absence!

Also, a huge thank you to everyone who's continued showing their support, I've lost a few readers during my absence as expected but I'm ever so thankful to those of you who have stayed since the start and I also came back to find out I hit 10K reads which is unbelievable so thank you so much!

So, what do we think is going to happen at the engagement party?!

Thanks so much for reading and please vote if you enjoyed :')