21 | perfect little family

"You coming back to Ma's is for the best, I promise. You'll see." Jax was positioned directly behind Kylie as she gazed at herself in the bureau mirror of her childhood bedroom.

It was the morning of Jess and Elijah's engagement party.

She heaved a sigh of relief as she finally finished outlining her pouty lips and ensured each and every strand of hair on her head was flowing down just above her waist in perfect waves. As she placed her lip pencil down, she realised how funny it was that people considered the eyes the gateway into the soul. Maybe that was true but for her and Elijah it'd been the way their lips latched onto each other that had betrayed their bodies and given them insight into what lay buried within the two of them.

Kylie turned her head towards her older brother and nodded in agreement at his words. Everything would get better now. It had to, didn't it?

She patted her hands against the material of her dress, making sure nothing looked out of place. The dress that Jess had chosen for Kylie wasn't exactly what she would class as her usual choice but it was stunning in its own right. It was satin-black in colour which surprised Kylie. She wasn't sure if the odd colour choice was the result of the chaotic rush Jess had been in whilst organising everything or if it followed some theme that Jess had just decided on last minute. She rolled her eyes – the latter seemed the most likely.

As she had slipped the dress up and over her shoulders, it shared the similar feel of a sheer slinky sheet but as she glanced at herself in the mirror, even she couldn't deny it; it adorned her figure rather well.

Lust was the first and only word that sprung to her mind as she took in all its intrinsic details. The neckline hung slightly too low on Kylie's small frame but she wasn't sure if this had been the intention.

The dress felt intimate and even impaling as it clung to every curve of her toned and supple body; a dress that one may think was manufactured precisely with the art of seduction in mind.

"Black though? It's a tad morbid for an engagement party, isn't it?" Jax scrunched his nose up in scrutiny, "not that you don't look great in it. It's just a strange choice for tonight. It's an engagement party, not a bloody funeral."

"Jess chose it, not me. Can't argue with the bride-to-be, can I?" She chuckled softly, swivelling around and perching down onto the edge of her bed. "You look good too, Jax." She mockingly winked at her older brother.

"I mean the real question is... when don't I look good? But between you and me, these trousers are a little too tight...although if I look on the bright side, I guess they enhance my package well." Jax responded a little too seriously whilst fixing his tie.

"Ew Jax, you're so gross!" She squealed as though she were genuinely repulsed by her brothers' crude words but then couldn't help but burst into fits of laughter. Only Jax, she thought to herself. Only Jax had the sheer ability to make her forget each and every one of her woes by making her laugh so hard that she'd have cramps in her abdomen even hours after the joke was over.

Jax was dressed nearly top-to-toe in a classic black suede suit, except for the tiny handkerchief poking out of the side pocket which was a stark crimson colour. Jess and Elijah had chosen a theme that meant that the closest male family and friends of the bride and groom-to-be would be dressed nearly identically to Elijah, with the same suede black suit and the stained crimson handkerchief folded with precision into the tiny pockets.

"I feel like I'm wearing a fucking uniform though. I was born to stand out you know, but instead, every Tom, Cock and Harry will know I'm somehow related to Elijah." Jax moaned almost childishly, jumping down onto the bed beside his younger sister.