19 | dreams and delusions

She was running.

Running bare-footed as fast as she could, feeling the prickly grass rubbing against the soles of her feet, trapped in a place she barely even recognised. The lack of recognition a result of the excessive foggy atmosphere engulfing her. She waved her hands futilely around herself in an almost stupid attempt to clear the haziness.

She thought she heard a shrill shriek from somewhere behind her and twirled around, fearfully. The fog dissipated in that exact moment as though someone was actively controlling her current situation and environment; almost as though she were the victim of a cruel joke.

She squinted hard into the distance and noticed a box laying there, just within her reach.

No, not a box. A coffin.

A short flight of stairs seemingly completely out of place, leading up the coffin. As she timidly walked towards it, she recognised the setting as a familiar church.

Once she reached the bottom of the staircase and eagerly placed her heel on the first step, she realised that she was unknowingly hitching her dress up to her knees and as she peered over her shoulder, she noticed the trail accompanying the dress.

She gasped. This was her wedding dress. And she'd just walked down the aisle on what appeared to be her own wedding day.

And suddenly, she heard a plethora of voices, each voice drowning out the other – voices that should've sounded joyful on such an eventful day but instead seemed to be the very product of fear and panic.

Elijah's pleading voice intermingled with Pattie's pleading voice, and then Valerie's pleading voice.

She shook her head violently trying to get rid of the noisy sounds, and as she glanced back up the stairs for a second time, she noticed a golden plaque on the table beside the coffin.

Kylie Campana

May you finally find peace in Heaven

21st April 1994 - 28th January 2018

She blinked once. And then again, and then several more times.

28th January 2018 was the very date set for her and Elijah's wedding day. She'd have recognised that date anywhere, for she had the reminder written on every calendar in their home.

What the actual fuck is going on?

She continued up the stairs, more cautiously this time, willing this all to be some kind of huge joke at her expense. But instead, she welcomed the feeling of the vomit creeping up her throat when she realised that the coffin had been left open and she was indeed, looking down at her dead best friends' corpse.

Her best friend who shocked her by being even more beautiful in death than she'd had been in life. The only difference was that the colour had drained from her face, rendering her much paler in contrast to her usual strikingly tanned skin and the slight bluish tinge of the skin around her eyes. She half-smiled when she saw that her lips were still painted red; that sinful red she'd always associate with only Kylie.

"Oh, Kylie. What happened to you? How did this...? When? Why today?" She whispered to Kylie's corpse as though she'd just jump up and be okay again.

She heard loud sobbing sounds emerge from behind her and turning slightly on her heel, she was welcomed with the view of Elijah who had now somehow appeared and was standing up behind her and staring into the coffin too. The tears rolled down his cheeks and kept on rolling.