The Ferry

Impa and I were now within a day of walking from the Shadow Temple. It was before dawn but we were already up and started out once again. Throughout the journey, I remembered everything about my training, and strangely enough I was beginning to forget what happened before it. It took me a few minutes of concentrating to remember why I was doing this. Oddly enough this isn't the first time I forgot. I had before once.

About a year after I started my training, I forgot my own name. Impa had stopped calling me by Zelda, she referred to me as "Young one." She had to remind me of who I was and why I was doing all this. Once I was in Hyrule, Impa and I would separate. It saddened me, but it was necessary.

This would be our last evening together, so I did my best to cherish it and remember her words of wisdom.

"There is a custom that the Sheikah have," Impa said as she walked towards me with a small bag. She gave it to me, and as I opened it I saw little gold rings. Ear rings.

"When a Sheikah boy comes of age, he is given these golden rings to be worn on his ears." as she spoke she took out a small needle and stabbed it through my ear lobe. It stung, especially as she put the rings in.

"You must now take a name, you are no longer Zelda, and young one is no longer fitting."

I had to think for a few moments. In all the time I had never thought of a new name for myself.

I was a Sheikah, but what kind of names do Sheikah have? I can't use Impa, that would be too suspicious.

"Ah, Sheikah?" I asked almost sarcastically. Impa raised an eyebrow at me.

"She? Kah?" I said random things as they came to my hand.

"Sheik?"

I liked the sound of that last one.

"Sheik?" Impa asked, again raising her eyebrows. "A Sheikah named Sheik?"

I shrugged my shoulders. I was out of ideas. Sheik it is.

The pass that Impa and I took lead us around the abandoned side of Death Mountain. There was nothing to look at here, just dry earth, rocks and brown shrubs. This path would lead us to the Shadow Temple beneath Kakariko Village. There we would separate, and I would go on alone into Hyrule.

As the sun was setting, we came to the place we Impa and I would part ways; A river. On the River was a ferry, with a Triforce crest on its deck.

"This is where we part ways young one." Impa said, "Be strong, be wise, and remember, I believe in you."

I felt a tear slide down my cheek, "Goodb-"

She was gone. I didn't look around, I knew that I wouldn't find her. I was on my own now.

I took a deep breath before making my way to the ferry. It became hard to see, and I nearly fell into the river. By the time I made it to the boat, it was completely dark. I had to decide, would I go down the river on the ferry, or stay here for the night?

If I left now, I could be in the village by morning. I decided to go.

I took the golden harp that Impa had given me, and I stood in front of the Triforce crest. There are many tales and legends attached to this harp, it was said to belong to a goddess, and the first Hylains. I held it up, and played the melody of the royal family, the song Impa played as I lullaby for my as a child. The notes echoed through the stillness, and as I finished the song, the ship began to move. As it moved, the sound of bells rang to the rhythm of its movement upon the water.

The ferry would take me to the temple, where I will see the dark history of Hyrule and become a true Sheikah. I stood on the front, waiting quietly. Soon I would return to Hyrule. I left as its princess, but return in the shadows.