7//How about Case

Joey

"Mom what are you doing home? You're going to be late for work," it's then when I notice the beer bottle in her hand as she takes a swig. "What do you mean work. You need a job to work," her words have a slight slur to them.

"Mom, you applied for a job a month ago and didn't they hire you?" She looked up at me, and I don't seem to recognize her. "Oh yeah. I quit," she says it so calmly like we don't need the money.

"What!" I pull at the ends of my hair, "Why did you quit? Mo we need the money, we're already struggling as it is." She takes another swig of her beer and I flinch as she drops it.on the coffee table and picks up another. "You have a job, I don't understand why I have to get one." Her words anger me and soon enough I'm yelling at her.

"You need to get a job because you're the adult here, you're the parent! But here you are drinking your f*cking life away! What would dad think if he saw you this way?" Her eyes immediately blaze up in fury and the beer that was once in the hands landed on the wall beside my head. I felt some of the cold substance hit me.

"Your father wouldn't know he is dead Joey! He left me with you, such a disgrace! You ruined all the dreams I had!" I walked up to her, my voice dangerously low. "Well it's not my fault you got knocked up at sixteen. At least dad actually helped out." Then I walked out the door. I already had a pair a shoes in so I walked out.

The cold air brushed past me and  the thin cardigan I was wearing wasn't helping. My mom hot pregnant with me at sixteen with my father. I knew it was a bad thing to say to her but I was angry, angry at her for saying that she doesn't have to get a job because I already have one. She never helped out, ever. My father was senior and my mom was a freshman, when she got pregnant with me she dropped out. My grandmother helped out with me until my father graduated then he dropped all of his plans to support me and my mom. He even got a football scholarship, he dropped it in a heartbeat. My mother was fine for a while until his death. I was only fourteen when it happened and it destroyed her, she's never been the same. She goes.out drinking everyday and I thought that when she got hired she would be a bit better but as of the arguing we had I can't say it didn't do anything.

I landed up at the park. It was deserted, probably because it's around seven o'clock at night. I sit on one of the benches and pull out my phone. Candy Crush occupies me for a bit before I get stuck on a levels. I go to my messages and start typing.

Hey

He replies a couple minutes later.

Hi

What's up?

Something's wrong. You're using correct grammar

It's nothing

Do you want to talk about it

Not really

Okay

So...

Did your roommate really threaten you with a knife

Yep with one of those really big kitchen knifes

So I assume you live off campus

Of course

Is Dave with you right now

Yeah but thank God he's doing something right now

Sounds like a real keeper

Um.. I'm not gay

Like I'm not against anybody that is I support it but I'm straight

I didn't mean it that way you goose, I meant as a friend

So I'm a goose now? What's up with all the bird references? Duck and now goose

:D I don't know

Of course you don't :)

When I'm typing my reply back I take a look at the time to see it's 8:14. I deleted what I was about to say before.

It's getting late so I gotta go goosey

Okay and bye and don't call me goosey

Then how bout ducky?

Still no

How about Case?

Sounds good

Bye Jo

Bye Case

I out my phone back into the pocket of my jeans and stand up from the bench. As I start my walk home I can't help but think, I never had nickname before, it's nice.