drunk on rosewater // angel/reaper au (peterick)

There's a rule all the immortals abide by—not a written one, exactly, but an unspoken one, one of those things you just don't do. You don't dance on gravestones. You don't steal from churches. And if you're an immortal, be it angel or demon or reaper or what-have-you, you don't fall in love. That is a thing you do not do—not because you know what the consequences are, but because you don't.

Pete will break this rule exactly seven hundred and thirty days from his first day as a reaper, two years from when he awoke bathed in the neon-red glow of the Devil's chambers and kissed the ring that sealed his fate forever, bound him to Hades for all of eternity. It will be the first rule he ever breaks.

(It will not be the last.)

hokay.  so.

pete's a reaper (not a demon) which basically means he collects the souls of the dead and brings them to the afterlife.  patrick's an angel.  angels get the fun job of singing to the deceased, which eases the transition from the world of the living to the world of the dead and all that good spiritual stuff.

pete and patrick basically get assigned the same soul one day, pete shows up to collect while patrick's singing and *peterick cliche #1* is totally spellbound by his singing.

so patrick gets all flustered and flies off, but pete (being pete) is determined to see him again and they end up running into each other a few more times until pete finally says "okay enough" and catches patrick right as he's about to fly off.  patrick's reluctant at first but they eventually hit it off due to a mutual love of music and an shared yearning for something beyond the spoils of paradise and pete falls harder and harder and patrick starts to fall too.

except.

immortals can't fall in love.

it's one of those unspoken rules and nobody really knows why but they just don't do it.  and pete tries and patrick tries and they're both like we shouldn't we shouldn't but eventually they give into temptation and keep sneaking off into hidden corners to make out (but pg cuz i can't write smut oops) and indulge in their forbidden love.

and then all hell breaks loose (literally) and angst ensues.

(also elton john is god and tommy lee is satan just like in ybc canon and they have a history! that is alluded to but never directly addressed bc i love doing stuff like that ;D)