the unbeatable ulrich // great gatsby au (ryden)

(look i've had roaring 20s on repeat for the past few days and idk why i didn't think of this sooner)

(i didn't even like the great gatsby that much but pftw was basically asking for it)

brendon is gatsby.  ryan is daisy.  dallon is jordan and spencer is nick.

i doubt there's anyone who hasn't read the book but basically spencer moves to la (in the book it's new york but brendon doesn't write depressing songs about new york so here we are) and meets enigmatic billionaire brendon ulrich, who shrouds himself in an aura of mystery and built his wealth from bootlegging, bribery, and corruption to impress the boy he loves but could never have, one ryan ross.

basically brendon urie was a poor boy who fell in love with old-money ryan but class structure meant they couldn't be together and by the time urie became ulrich ryan had moved on to someone else.  brendon spends the fic partying hard and pining after ryan, unable to let go of the past; spencer has an awkward relationship with tennis god dallon and [SPOILER ALERT] shit doesn't end well.

i don't have a clue who tom and myrtle and george all are but they're probably various members of panic caught up in these capitalistic hedonistic shenanigans, and everything is soundtracked by pray for the wicked, probably in chronological order because dying in la makes the perfect ending to what will ultimately be a downer of a fic.  if i could write depressing smut this fic would probably be full of it.  instead if i ever write it it will probably be full of stupid overwrought metaphors bc f scott fitzgerald was too damn into himself and his purple prose to know the meaning of the words subtlety and concision.

(and that's the tea)