for a second your attention just belongs to me // band au (joetrick)

(nvm looks like i am writing joetrick)

(it came to me in a dream)

(yeah yeah i know dreams give us some pretty questionable literature *side-eyes Stephenie Meyer* but this one was good)

takes place post-hiatus idk exactly when but i'm thinking sometime between 2014 to last year.

basically:  it's soul punk's (3rd? 5th?) birthday.

they happen to be touring on that day and joe really really wants to do something to show how much he (and the other guys) appreciate patrick's solo work, because it was so poorly received by the critics.  he still remembers reading the infamous blog post (i'm not emo you're emo) and every time he thinks about the "fans" who showed up just to shit on patrick he wants to throw something, but what does joe usually do when he wants to throw things?  he turns to his guitar.  and what better song for joe to show off on than "allie"?

(i mean he could just tweet out a thing but in this universe he's extra af)

he gathers pete and andy in a room while patrick's busy and tells them his idea.  pete agrees instantly, andy's hesitant because he knows how much patrick a) hates last-minute changes and being left out of things and b) is still kind of sensitive about soul punk's reception.  joe considers this and there's a lot of guilt and mixed emotions but eventually they come to an agreement.

they start practicing, and it's kind of a mess at first but they eventually start getting it, and joe and pete call up a bunch of patrick's accompanists from the soul punk tour to see if they can make it, and they keep having to hide it from patrick who keeps walking in on them being like what the fuck are you guys doing and they're like uhhhhhh nothing here have you tried this cookie it's a great cookie and joe listens to soul punk over and over trying to get the solo just right and there are a bunch of close calls.

the night before the show (probably in chicago, lbr) joe's listening to soul punk again, just taking everything in.  he's finished with "allie" and he thinks he's gotten it as close to perfection as he can (although not as perfect as patrick *cue fangirl awwwww-ing*) and he's nervous as shit and really close to a panic attack and he's about to turn off the stereo when "coast" comes on and instantly makes him feel better.  and then he's singing along and patrick walks in on him and joe's hella embarrassed but does a decent job of playing it off, there's an exchange where he tells patrick it's a good album, dude and patrick gets all blushy, aw.

then the big night comes and everyone's nervous as hell, they agreed to make it the second to last song before encore.  they finish whatever song comes first and then the opening chords to "allie" start playing and patrick is so, so confused, and the crowd's going wild and he's looking at the other guys like wtf is going on but they just keep playing and pete's grinning at him all stupid, and he's so stunned he doesn't even sing the first verse, but the crowd's all singing along and he finally comes in at the prechorus, a little shaky at first and then eventually full on soul punk-stump through the next verse.  he's fine until the bridge, when he basically loses his place in trying to figure out okay which one of you assholes fucked with the setlist but the crowd and joe are both singing their goddamn hearts out, pete's jumping around and andy's killing it and joe is the best backup vocalist you could have, he is just so into it.

they finish their set, joe's nervous because he thinks patrick's mad and patrick's still a little put off at first but then he envelops joe in this big famous stumphug™ and all is right with the world again.  there is probably tears and also kissing.  pete and andy probably walk in on them.  i am full of cliches.  happily ever after the end <3 <3

(bonus:  two months later patrick tweets out a damned things cover and everyone's heart fucking melts.)