don't you know i need you? // boy band au

(the lyrics to step by step by nkotb are so basic but the song slaps so like)

boys are in a boy band.  that's it, that's the fic.

feat. gabe as the hot one, will as the chill one, travie as the rapper, pete as the bad boy (and the one who attracts scandal and rumor like a flame attracts moths), brendon as the cute one (who maybe follows pete's example just a bit too closely), mikey as their drop-dead gorgeous session musician who could've easily been their sixth member if he wasn't already doing other things, and patrick as their incredibly put-upon producer who's responsible for all the funky beats and making pete sound halfway decent while also putting up with most of pete's shenanigans in the studio.  (is pete an insufferable flirt in this?  hell yes.)  ryan is the studio's lyricist who knows damn well he's kind of a hack and really wishes he could write his own stuff but also really needs the money.  pete often pitches lyrics to their label but ends up getting rejected because "it's too edgy, pete," because despite the fact that their whole brand/concept/whatever is "boys with an edge" and "not your average boy band" they still have to be marketable and approachable and, like, not scare off parents of teenage girls.

everyone else in bandom who appears in this is probably some session musician/backup dancer of some sort, with the exception of paramore.  patrick produces for paramore and pete definitely barges in on one of their recording sessions, much to patrick's everlasting annoyance and embarrassment.