once a thief // leverage au (peterick)

There's a man sitting beside Pete at the bar, heavyset and bald, dressed sharp in charcoal-gray suit and tie with shining black dress shoes and shifting, flinty eyes.

"Excuse me," the man says, the words trembling from nervous, quivering lips like an unexpectedly answered prayer, "you're—you're Pete Wentz, right?"

Pete throws back a shot and signals the bartender for another. Questions beginning with who and what and why bounce and rocket around his brain. He swirls his glass; amber liquid swishes, barely contained.

"I think you know the answer," he says, gruff.

"I need your help."

(idk if you guys have seen leverage but if you haven't it's on netflix and it's only five seasons (rip) but it's sooooooooooooooo good guys)

pete's an alcoholic ex-insurance agent who lost his wife and child and is basically miserable until some corporate rando asks him to help him retrieve some stolen data or whatever by managing a team of criminals he's put together.  brendon or joe is the wiseass hacker, hayley's the slightly unhinged thief, and andy (or possibly frank idk) is the muscle.

they end up retrieving the data but it turns out the data was never stolen in the first place, so they were just committing a heist and rather than pay them, their client opted to kill them instead.  they escape before they can be blown to smithereens in an abandoned warehouse and pete decides to plot revenge with help from patrick, a con artist and one of the many criminals pete chased in his old job.

thus begins a series of glimpses into the lives of pete and patrick, criminals for justice (basically modern-day robin hoods, if robin hood was, like, filthy rich) and lovebirds who can't seem to get their shit together.  dallon's probably in this too cuz i love dallon.