Chapter 5: Flashback

~Second year of traveling~

Nōkon and I were traveling to Fiore. However, the map we have doesn't show all the paths through Bosco's woods, so we're a bit lost right now. At the moment, the two of us are standing at a crossroad with signs that have faded directions on it."What are we gonna do, Yuki? We're lost, and the directions on all the signs we saw were faded." Nōkon asked worriedly."I don't know. We took a lot of left and rights, and the map isn't very helpful with this. Let's just go right. Hopefully we get out of this damn tree labyrinth soon." I mumbled as I stared at the right path. We started walking down that path, and after a couple of minutes I started carrying Nōkon because she got tired. Soon, we saw an opening in the trees, as well as a gravel road."Hey, Nōkon. I wonder if that's the exit. I don't know if all roads over here look like this, but let's hope they do or are at least better than this." I said as we continued to the path.

After about half an hour of when we exited the woods, we heard a lot of shouting and fights coming from a nearby town."Yuki........?" Nōkon asked scared, burying herself further into my arms in attempt to get away. Curious yet cautious, I continued towards the town. When we entered, Nōkon and I became shocked and horrified to see the citizens fighting soldiers, and in return the soldiers were killing some of them."Nōkon, we have to help them!" I exclaimed, and she nodded before releasing her wings. Oh how naive I was. We both rushed towards some of the soldiers, and started attacking them."Ice dragon: roar!" I yelled, and some of them were blown away by a blizzard. The other soldiers shouted and ran at us, and Nōkon picked me up before one of their spears hit me. She flew higher up, preparing me for a high up ice dragon: wing attack. Suddenly, we heard gunshots from below, and saw three of them with rifles shooting at us. The bullets were missing us, but after a few seconds one missed the top of my head and I heard Nōkon gasp before we started falling. I quickly turned my body, and my eyes widened when I saw her bleeding on her head."Nōkon!" I shouted before pulling her to my body to protect her from the fall.

~third pov~

The soldiers and citizens watched as the girl and her flying cat fell from the sky, and saw them make a dust cloud when they landed. The cloud cleared to show the girl on her back in a small crater. She groaned in pain as she held the bleeding cat, and she gasped before her head shot up to look at her companion."Nōkon?" She asked as she shook the exceed. Nōkon didn't answer, and the girl became more panicked as her eyes became wider and her breath became more heavy."Nōkon, wake up. Nōkon, answer me, goddamn it! Nōkon!" She started shouting, calling out the exceed over and over again. Suddenly, she stopped and put her hand on Nōkon's chest."No......." The girl whispered. Suddenly, the air around them started freezing. Snow started forming around the girl, and the snow started moving faster the more snow was made. The snow started from the girl, then reached a few yards past the civilians and soldiers."NOOOOO!!!!!!!!" The girl screamed, and the weather turned into a terrible blizzard. Everyone screamed and panicked, not able to even run away with how strong the wind was pushing against them."NŌKON!!!!!!!" The girl's voice echoed loudly through the cold storm, deafening everyone more than the wind. Suddenly, everything froze; literally. The wind stopped blowing, the snow floated in the air, the sounds became silent, and everything and everyone except the girl and her exceed became completely frozen in ice. The girl stood up, her face shadowed as she held her dead companion in her arms, and she walked to the entrance of the town. When she completely left, the snow fell and the ice shattered, destroying the buildings and killing the people that were trapped in it.

~a few weeks later, normal pov~

I've returned to the cave. All the way there, I didn't care who it was. If they attacked me, I froze and shattered them. I never looked anywhere besides Nōkon's cold body. She was never supposed to become as cold as me. Not this early. I didn't stop to rest or eat on my way to the cave. When I arrived, I immediately buried her in the same spot where she hatched. After I was done, I just sat in front of her grave, staring at in. Soon, I started crying, then sobbing. I sensed myself creating a blizzard outside the cave, but I didn't care. I was mourning my friend, companion, sister.

~third year~

I still haven't gotten over Nōkon's death. Just being in the cave makes me depressed since it's where she hatched and where she's buried. Almost every day, I cause a blizzard outside. But I'm not worried about being caught; being in Iceberg, it's normal for there to be a lot of random snow storms. I froze, however, when I sensed someone coming near the cave."Ooooohhhhh jeez, it's freezing. I didn't expect it to be that bad. Those villagers at the border did tell me it wasn't safe........." a guy said as he came in with only thin black clothes."You should've listened to those villagers."I said lowly. He then noticed me and lashed out, but I just froze him before shattering his ice statue.

This went on for this entire year and the next, some guilds even came to kill me.

~third pov~

"Come on, it's somewhere around here!" The leader of a minor dark guild shouted over the blizzard. Without even knowing, they passed a cave where a dragon slayer resides, the same one that killed some of that guild's members."When we find that bastard that killed our comrades, I'm going to make them regret ever living." One of the members growled. The dragon slayer stared at the group, and her expression darkened when she heard their conversations with her enhanced senses."You dare challenge me? An ice dragon slayer in a place of ice and snow?" Yuki asked darkly, and the group turned to see her ice blue eyes piercing at them."Are you the one who killed our members?!" The leader yelled, and she narrowed her eyes at him."Yes." She admitted bluntly, and they all shouted before taking out their weapons or preparing to cast spells."Since there's so many of you, it wouldn't be entertaining to just freeze and shatter you. I might as well play with you for a while." Yuki said with a smirk, her voice sounding loud and clear and enraging the group even more."Requip: Ice Empress Armor." She chanted, and she glowed before being in a blue and white outfit, a katana in hand with frost and mist coming from the blade, as well as her blue eyes glowing with the blade.

" She chanted, and she glowed before being in a blue and white outfit, a katana in hand with frost and mist coming from the blade, as well as her blue eyes glowing with the blade

Her and the group charged at each other, and she cut them down one by one, dancing and weaving through them while not getting a single scratch. Eventually, all that was left were bloody corpses that were slowly being covered in snow as the girl went back into her cave.