Chapter 1

I was sitting in my bedroom in New Orleans, doing nothing in particular. Niklaus was in another room screaming and cursing. He had woken me. I could hear things being thrown every now and then. I sighed and got up, walking over to my mirror.

I felt bad for Niklaus. So many things had happened after Kol's death. Silas had risen and terrorized everyone in Mystic Falls. I had come with the Original Family to New Orleans because someone was conspiring against Niklaus.

Coming here had felt like salt on the wound. Kol and I had lived here with his siblings. It hurt when the memories flooded back into my mind of him. I distracted myself with everyone's problems, and there were many of them.

Niklaus has a new kid. None of us thought it was even possible, but of course, Niklaus must surprise us all. He had a baby girl, Hope, with a werewolf, Hayley Marshall who is now one of my closest friends.

When giving birth to Hope, Hayley died. Hope's blood was in Hayley's system, causing her to become a hybrid.

We did not get to keep Hope for long because everything good is taken from us. She and Rebekah moved away for Hope's safety but everyone thinks she is dead.

I snapped out of my deep thought and found myself playing with my necklace, the one given to me by Kol. I instantly took my hand away and looked to my reflection. I looked drained.

My hair was carelessly chucked into a ponytail. Bags were under my eyes and my skin looked dull. I put on some makeup and got dressed after fixing my hair. With one last look in the mirror, I tuck the necklace under my tank top.

Niklaus had quieted down for a few minutes. The crashes were replaced with Mozart's Requiem in D Minor K 626-3.

I left my room and followed the sound of the music. As I stood in the doorway, Niklaus was trying to stretch a canvas over the wooden frame for his painting. He was struggling.

"Allow me," I stepped towards him, offering my help.

"I got it!" Niklaus shouts at me.

I sighed and walked into the room. As I looked around the mess, I hear the canvas rip in half. I turn back to see Niklaus throws it across the room in a fit of rage. The canvas lands at the doorway, right in front of Elijah's feet.

Niklaus screams rawly, "AGHHHHHH!"

I felt shudders down my spine as he yells. Elijah picks up the canvas that was thrown and inspects, "I suppose we shall have to call this your 'white period.'"

I couldn't laugh at Elijah's jokes like I used to--not at a time like this. Niklaus clearly felt the same.

"I'm missing a crucial color in my palette-- that of my enemies' blood," Niklaus responds in an angry tone, sending daggers to Elijah.

Elijah brushes off Niklaus's strong voice, "Well, I recommend a Venetian red, with a dash of rust..."

"It's been months! I've adhered to our plan: sit and do nothing, sell our grief," Niklaus's eyes had fire as his anger overtook him. "And now, my child is safely away, and another full moon is upon us-- another night of pathetic weakness as the moonlight rings steal my strength!"

I almost forgot. These rings were created for the werewolves that allow them to control whether they shift or not on full moons. However, in order for them to work, power is drained from the Hybrid on full moons.

"Nikki," I sigh in sympathy and rest my hand on his shoulder in comfort.

Elijah also sends him a sympathetic look as Niklaus seems to calm down slightly.