Chapter 4

Elijah and I were still at the Algiers, waiting for Marce to speak with Marcel. We weren't exactly speaking like best buds. To pass the time, we watched two men play chess. I was already growing impatient and bored from this game.

"How much longer?" I sighed and crossed my arms.

"Patience," Elijah stated and kept his eyes on the chess board.

I rolled my eyes, "I barely have any left."

I heard Elijah mumble something under his breath but I ignored him. I look up to see Marcel joining us.

"Finally!" I exclaim with a happy smile.

"Davina's on her way. By the time she gets here, you need to be gone," Marcel says tensely.

I frowned and Elijah did the same, "I'm not going anywhere until I know the whereabouts of the stake."

"Same," I nodded my head in agreement.

Marcel threw us a look, "You think she's just going to cooperate with two vampires breathing down her neck? First thing I learned living with your family-- wherever you people go, threats and bloodshed are soon to follow. So, just stay out of sight, alright? Try not to kill anyone."

He turns away before walking off to meet with the witch.

"Harsh," I stated with raised eyebrows.

"But true," Elijah says as he turns back to the chess game.

With a sigh, I did the same. As I watched, I felt myself drift off into the 1800s.

I was back in New Orleans with the three brothers. We were back at the compound. Niklaus and Kol played a game of chess as Elijah leaned against an accent table with a bitter expression. I was torn, so I just sat on the chair.

"Forty-six. An entire tenement. Forty-six bodies drained!" A shudder ran up my spine at the tone of Elijah's voice.

I spoke in a calm, warning tone, "Elijah..."

"Nonsense!" Kol pauses for a moment before continuing with a smirk. "It was at least sixty! Ah, they neglected to check the attic!"

A laugh escapes Niklaus's lips, "Ah!" I, too, would have laughed if we were under different circumstances.

"Why do people always run to the attic? I mean, it makes no sense!" Kol says with his mischievous smile.

"I swear to God, Kol..." I felt my jaw tense.

Niklaus looks at me with a glitter in his blue eyes, "You seem torn, Alexandria."

I sent him a devilish look before Elijah spoke, "It is difficult enough to keep our presence in the city a secret without the two of you doing absolutely everything in your power to draw attention to us."

"I'm surprised you have the time to concern yourself with us, given the hours you spend doting on Marcellus and Alexandria, " Niklaus says as he plays his move on the chess board.

Elijah raises his tone even more, "Is that what all this is about? You envy my bond with Alexandria and Marcellus? Niklaus, you brought that child into this home! He's no longer safe here. I cannot allow him to remain."

Niklaus looks at Elijah in anger, "You would punish the boy for Kol's antics? I would just as soon put him in a box!"

I instantly got up and smashed my fist to the table, sending all the chess pieces to the floor, "You will not take Kol from me again."

"You'd choose that little whelp over your own family?" Kol asks with narrowed eyes.

Niklaus looked at Kol with daring eyes, "That "little whelp" is our family!"

He turns to Elijah and says, "Marcellus stays."

"And so does Kol. Do not choose one family over another, Niklaus," I hissed before turning and leaving.

I made my way to my room and slammed the door. At least, I tried. I didn't hear the door slam shut. I turned around and saw Kol holding the door open.

"Kol," I sighed and shook my head.

He stalked towards me, "I think I know what's going on."

I  looked anywhere but him, whether it was the walls or my shoes.

"Alexandria, stop doing that. You always used to do that," He said softly as he inched closer.

As I felt my cheeks redden, I looked him in the eye which made him smile.

"Are you, um, are you and Elijah... together?" He asked. This time, he looked away.

I nodded my head, "When you were gone, we just found each other. I'm sorry. It was really... unloyal."

His jaw tensed and he backed away, "I understand."

"Kol!" I reached out for him but he was already gone.

The tears fell from my eyes as I fell back on my bed.

When I woke from my memories, I blinked back tears. I turned back to Elijah who appeared guarded.

"They're taking too long," Elijah muttered before turning away and walking in the direction Marcel went. I followed him after wiping my eyes.

"I know. But, what if I do find it? I mean, I-I'm not just gonna give it to Klaus! He and Elijah are both brutal, sadistic monsters!" I heard Davina exclaim to Marcel.

"Yes, they can be," I said fiercely, remember how they daggered Kol.

Elijah throws me a look, "I do wish I could disagree with you. Tragically, however, you're quite right."

As Davina glares and Marcel shakes his head, Elijah continues, "Although, you and I both have excellent reason to find that weapon. I want to protect my family, and you want to protect your friends. We'd do well to forget our grievances and join forces."

"No," Davina says with steely eyes.

Marcel pleads, "Davina, just--"

"No! No, I'm-I'm done listening, "Davina turns to Elijah, "For a long time, you and your family have had all the power. You manipulate and kill anyone who gets in your way. That time's over. From now on, you can know what it is to be afraid."

She storms away before any of us can respond.

"Why do I like her again?" I asked with raised eyebrows.

"I asked you to stay out of sight!" Marcel says through gritted teeth.

Elijah responds in a steady voice, "I needed to speak to her face-to-face."

"Why? So that you could piss her off?" Marcel inquires angrily.

"I wanted to see for myself. She cares for you, and yet, how cavalier she was at the jeopardy that you now face," Elijah observed.

Marcel looks at him with furrowed eyebrows, "What are you saying?"

"She knows the stake will not be used because she knows precisely where it is," Elijah says with a crooked smile.

"She's had it all along," I said in realization.

Hello everyone! Sorry for not posting a chapter during a random day of the week! I just had my first week of hell, er I mean school. I forgot how much time that takes from me. Now that the school year is starting, chapters will only be posted on Saturdays, or Sundays by the latest. I wish I could post more but school makes that difficult. If I ever have a bunch of free time, I may be able to get another chapter up, but no promises.

Anyways, thanks for all the votes and comments! Also, thank you guys for 4K votes on His Darling, Her Love//Kol Mikaelson! It really means the world to me! I hope your school year goes in your favor!