Chapter 7

"We really need to stop running into each other."

I turned my head at the sound of the voice. Kaleb looked at me with a smile.

"Technically, we didn't run into each other. You just couldn't resist talking to me," I teased with a smirk.

"That is something we can both agree on," Kaleb laughs as he sits beside me.

I scooted over a bit, allowing him more space, "So, what are you doing in town?"

He shrugged his shoulders, "I was just strolling around town for witchy supplies."

"Are you stocking up for a big spell?" I questioned with a raised eyebrow.

"Eh, I guess you could say that," Kaleb said with a sigh. "What are you doing?"

I looked at him and laughed, "I am finding some caterers. I have a big feast I must help my friend host."

"Oh really? I love feasts," Kaleb smiled.

"Who doesn't? Speaking of, I should probably get back to that and not get distraced," I said and began to stand.

Kaleb reached for my hand and spoke with a smile, "But I like distracting you."

His hand was warm, and I flinched at the unusual touch. I covered it with a smile, "You can distract me at another time. My friend can be very aggressive when he doesn't get what he wants."

"My brother had quite the temper as well," Kaleb mused.

"Oh really?" I questioned.

With a small laugh, he said, "He would threaten my siblings and I, and never let us have a say in the matter. I was always the black sheep in the family."

"You speak as though those are good memories of him," I noticed and felt myself sit back down.

Kaleb smiled at my movement, "Yes, well they were some of my only memories of him. He would either dagg-- hurt me or go to the bar with me. You see, I was the black sheep of my family."

I nodded my head in understanding, "Out of my siblings and I, I was definitely the crazy one. Everyone thought my sister was an obedient angel and my brother was everyone's trusted best friend. Then there was me; the insane sister who would hang with the wrong crowd."

"The wrong crowd?" Kaleb questioned with a confused look.

"Yeah, there was this family of vampires who turned me. They turned me and they left me behind. I spent centuries trying to find them, and when I did... let's just say they were a bad influence on me," I trailed off. "My boyfriend at the time was low key insane but I loved him. I would do the worst things to please him, and I would never take them back. Does that make me a terrible person?"

Kaleb shook his head, "I don't think so. You did them out of love."

I felt tears well up in my eyes, "He was the love of my life. He always will be."

Kaleb nods his head in understanding. We sat in a silence before Kaleb changed the subject, "What about your brother sister?"

"Well, my sister is dead. My brother..." I thought for a moment. "we had a bit of a falling out. We do not really talk anymore."

When I saw Kaleb's expression, my eyes widened, "Nothing bad happened between us! We are just so busy that I haven't contacted him. He is off with his girlfriend, and I am with my..." I almost said family but I felt guilty, so I just went with "friends."

"Right, well, I would get closer with my brother if I were you. I miss my siblings and my relationship with them is already ruined. Do not ruin yours," Kaleb said with a soft smile as he grazed his hand over mine.