Little matters

I pulled up to a building and got out of my car. I walked up to the door and opened it. When I entered the building there they all stood waiting for me.  Ace was sitting on a desk.  I walked over to see not only Jordan and Frazier along with Chase and Brax but also Hunter, Drew, RJ, Liam, Nik, Zack, Tony, Lucas and Sean along with Charlie.

"Ryan what's going on," Hunter asked.

"We need all your help," I said walking over to a table. They followed behind me.  I placed the file on the table and opened it while they all looked at the list of names.  "These names are of people we need to eliminate and quick. In and out."

"Sounds simple," Zack said.

"Except we have one other issue," I said.

"What's the other issue," Drew asked.

"Once we eliminate them, we're going after the Santiagos," I said looking at all of them.

They all looked at each other and then at me.

"I don't understand why we're going after them if we're helping them," RJ said.

"Because they can't be trusted.  Did you honestly think they will let us walk away after what we did," I asked them.

"Ryan are you saying they know," Charlie asked.

"Yes."

"But how?  We were careful," Chase said.

I looked at Chase, "no matter how careful you can be, you're never careful enough."

"So, let me get this straight, no offense Nik, not only we dealing with members of a drug cartel which includes a psychotic crew as well but also have to deal with another crazy crew as well," Liam asked.

"In a nutshell, yes," said Ace.

"Sounds like a party to me with the exception of crazy lunatics," Liam said.  We all looked at him, "yeah don't even look at me like that.  You all know I'm right."  I had to hand it to my nephew, he didn't miss a beat.

After the meeting, I headed for home. I needed to play this smart. A lot lives were on the line. One mess up and we would be done with it.

I walked into the house and tossed my keys on the table next to the door.  I looked around the house felt empty now that RJ was out on his own.  He was married and had a family of his own just like Matthew and Elizabeth did.  The boys were only a year old and the girls had just turned two.  In fact most of them had families now.  I was asking a lot to have them do this but I knew the Santiagos could not be trusted.  They had proven time and time again when they did business dealings with the family.  It was also a gamble Ace and I took to make sure those girls got what they deserved.  I knew the money couldn't be traced but it wouldn't stop them from taking us out if they found out.

I locked the door and made my way upstairs.  I walked into the bedroom and Alex was already asleep.  I sat down on the side of the bed and kicked off my shoes, then I got up and went into the bathroom.  After changing into a pair of sweats I walked over and crawled into bed.  I laid down and turned to see Alex asleep peacefully.  I hated having to do this.  Her anxiety would be through the roof.  It usually happened when something major happened.  It didn't bother me to reassure her even if she felt bad when I had to.  I loved her more than anyone. 

I remember that day when I walked in and saw her the first time.  She was absolutely stunning.  I had never seen such a beautiful woman before.  I had no words when I saw her.  No wonder she thought I was creepy.  I chuckled quietly to myself at that thought.  Even after everything we went through together, we still manage to work things out and stay together.  Some would say it was fate, but I knew different.  I knew no matter what it was the love we had for each other that kept us together.