Everyone Leaves, in the End

Imagine this.

You've never been the popular one. You didn't really have a large group of friends. You minded your own business.

One day, you arrived at camp, just a few days before another boy one year older than you. Dark hair, sea green eyes, a complete mess sometimes.

You became his friend. Not as close as Grover or Annabeth was to him, but he knew you.

When the camp learned of his godly parent, when he seemed to be a misfit, you stayed by his side. He seems to have forgotten that.

He went on quests, and soon enough you met two others. He drifted from you. He had all his attention on finding Annabeth and bickering with Thalia.

Nico was younger than you, but you watched out for him when his sister left and never came back. Then he left camp, and so on. You know the story.

When Percy went missing, you were one of the ones who was extremely worried. You constantly offered Annabeth help to find him, but she said you were too inexperienced. That was the nice way of pushing you away.

One time, she came back with three demigods, none of them Percy. You were extremely disappointed. You weren't very close to him, but he was your only friend.

You met Jason and Piper, but didn't get very close.

Leo.....was a different story.

He came in swinging, making jokes and being so....happy.

You got annoyed because you were currently stressing over finding Percy. No one else was very close to you or had known you as long. Even though you weren't very close, you were slightly clingy. Again, Percy was your only friend.

One day, Leo was pestering you, determined to make you laugh. You snapped at him.

"Just go away, Leo! I'm not going to laugh at any of your stupid jokes! My life is bad enough, I don't need more people crowding me trying to make me happy! I won't be happy! The day I get my only friend back, the day everyone stops shoving me aside, I'll be happy!"

He stared at you in shock. But instead of apologizing or getting upset, he did something you'll never forget.

He hugged you.

The line that caught his ear, the one that stood out, was "the day everyone stops shoving me aside, I'll be happy."

He understood so much from that one sentence.

And that's where it started.

You see, you had Percy, as a friend. But he had Grover as a best friend, and Annabeth as a girlfriend. Nico had almost been like a little brother, but he didn't see you or talk to you anymore.

Piper and Jason had each other, and didn't talk to you much.

Percy always had your back, but once they came back with him, he spent all his time with Annabeth and his new friends. They'd gone through something....tough together, and are inseparable.

Even Leo got along well with his siblings. He started to build things in a Bunker he found. He understands machines better than people, so that's where he spent most of his time.

He'd talk to you still, though, never leaving you completely alone, and that's how you learned he met someone while he and the others went on their long quest.

It broke your heart. He was the only one who noticed your desperate struggle to fit in, to be noticed, to stop being put at the bottom of everyone's list of importance. To stop being pushed aside.