Origins Part 3: Cole

Flashback

Cole had always been strong.

He didn't know why, but he'd always been able to pick up things no one his age was able to pick up. Heck, even some adults had trouble picking some of the things he could pick up with ease. I mean, it's not everyday a five-year-old could pick up a grand piano with very little effort.

But today, Cole had done something really bad. And even though he felt like the guy deserved it, he couldn't help but feel very bad for what happened.

The seven-year-old fidgeted in his chair in the hallway while his parents talked to his teacher. He couldn't make out everything, but he could tell that his teacher was ranting to his parents about what had happened while his parents apologized many times. Cole frowned, crossing his arms. He didn't mean to push Adam so hard, but he was making fun of Cole and the teacher wouldn't listen to him! What was he supposed to do?!

Cole looked up when he heard the door to the teacher's room open, and gulped as he watched his parents walk out. He was in soooo much trouble.

~~~~~

"What were you thinking young man?!" his mom demanded a few minutes later at home, pacing in front of him while he sat on a chair.

"It was an accident, Mom!" Cole defended himself. "I didn't mean to push him so hard!"

"You shouldn't have pushed him in the first place!" his mom shrieked.

"You were very lucky, Cole," his dad chimed in, his normally happy face set in a frown. "Adam's arm will heal in a few weeks, and his parents are not pressing charges."

Cole bowed his head in guilt. He didn't mean to push Adam hard enough that he broke his arm when he fell. He was making fun of Cole, calling him a "freak" and a "pansy", teasing him by asking if he wore a tutu like his dad, who was a well-known dancer. Of course not! His dad didn't even wear tutus!

His dad sighed. "It's not completely your fault Cole," he said, resting a hand on his son's shoulder. "I know you have trouble controlling your strength. I won't punish you this time..."

"Lou!" his mom cried out, but his dad ignored her.

"...but I want you to work on it. Next time, you might not be so lucky. Alright, sport?" he asked, ruffling Cole's black hair.

Cole giggled. "Alright, Dad," he beamed. "And I'm really sorry about Adam's arm. I'll apologize to him when he feels better," he promised, even though he cringed on the inside. He didn't like Adam that much, but he did feel bad about the accident.

"Good boy," His dad said, standing and making a shooing motion. "Now go on outside. I know you've been dying to play. Just please be careful."

"Okay Dad!" Cole exclaimed climbing down from his chair and scrambling towards the door.

"Not so fast, young man!" his mother interrupted, grabbing Cole by the collar of his t-shirt. "Go to your room and finish your homework first. Lou, a word," she commanded, glaring at his dad.

Cole groaned but complied with his mom's wishes, grabbing his backpack and running upstairs to his room. The sooner he got his homework done, the sooner he could go outside and play!

His room wasn't too big, but he didn't mind. The wall was colored his favorite color--orange--and it had a window that offered the best view in his house--the mountains that surrounded Jamanikai Village. Every morning and evening, Cole would get up and watch the sunrise and sunset. Sometimes, he dreamed about making a trip to the mountains and finally getting a chance to let loose with all of his powers.