Getting Together Part 3: Fire, Ice, and Everything Nice

As it turned out, Cole wasn't a cause of delay.

The weather was.

Not even fifteen minutes after the duo-turned-trio had gone in search of a suitable cave for them to take shelter, the already dark sky turned darker as deep grey clouds covered the sunset. Soon, rain began to fall. It was just a drizzle at first, but the rain was starting to come down harder and harder. They even heard rumbles of thunder.

 "This is just perfect," Kai growled, trying and failing to ignore the rain. If there was anything that Kai hated worse than ice and being cold, it was water.

"Don't suppose you can stop this storm can you?" Cole asked Jay.

The electric teen shook his head. "Nope," he replied dully. "The only storms I know how to stop are the ones I make myself."

Cole shrugged. "That's okay. It would've been cool if you could, but it's not the end of the world," he reassured.

"Speak for yourself," Kai grumbled, shivering. "I hate getting wet!"

"I knew I should've grabbed an umbrella," Cole muttered to himself before he perked up. "Hey guys! I think I see one!"

 "What, an umbrella?" Jay asked curiously.

 Cole rolled his eyes. "No, I found a cave!" he clarified, pointing. Sure enough, through a few trees and embedded into the side of a mountain was the opening maw of a cave.

"Oh heck, yes!" Kai cried. "Let's go!"

"Last one there is a rotten egg!" Jay exclaimed, running forward.

They all raced into the cave, and sighed as they stopped feeling the rain pound into their bodies. Then, they all felt a cold draft and collectively shivered.

    "Brrrr! Th-this cave's chilly!" Jay said, rubbing his arms.

    "M-maybe we should try and find another one," Cole said, his teeth chattering.

    "How about not?" Kai replied, lighting one of his hands on fire. "I'm not going back into that rain."

Cole rolled his eyes. "Fine, let's see if there's something we can use to make a fire with," he said.

"Cool! Cave exploring!" Jay cheered before he ran deeper into the cave.

"Jay, come back!" Cole shouted, running after the sixteen-year-old. "You don't know what's in here! You could get lost!"   

    Kai facepalmed(with the hand that wasn't holding the fire). "Guys, wait up!" he cried, running after his two tag-alongs. "You need me in order to see, remember?!"

~~~~~~

    Jay was really excited. He had read all about caves in books, but he never thought he would be able to explore one! He wanted to see stalactites and stalagmites, and see what kind of cool rocks were in here. Ooohh, maybe he'd find a diamond!

    Jay heard his friends calling his name, but he was just so excited he couldn't slow down. He wanted to see what was in the cave, and--

    "Whoa!" he cried as his feet slid out from under him and he landed hard on his back. "OW!"

    "Jay are you okay--yikes!" Cole caught up to him and slipped a little but managed to stay standing. "What the heck?!"

    "Ugh, what did I slip on?" Jay groaned, sitting up and rubbing his sore back. "And why is it so cold?!"

    "There you guys are!" Kai exclaimed, finally catching up. "You can't just run ahead like--uh, what the heck?"

    Kai lifted his flaming hand up higher and Cole and Jay were able to see what they had slid on. Covering the floor of the cave in patches was a layer of ice. Icicles hung from the ceiling of the cave, and small patterns of frost adorned the sides of the cave.