Part 6

Chapter 6

Her hand reached in her pocket, pulling out the cell phone she kept with her at all times.  Almost on their own accord, her fingers typed in the number she knew so well.  As she stood there, her back leaning against her wrecked truck, she watched as the two of them walked away.  Neither of them had seemed hurt, nor shocked by the small accident that had occurred.  If anything, the woman acted as if she had planned the entire thing.  That couldn’t be right though, could it?  And the man, Adam, he was angry.  His hair had stuck up in all directions, making the anger on his face slightly comical.  It made him look oddly cute.

“Sloan!” a voice snapped, bringing her back to the present.

With a sigh, she pressed the phone to the side of her face.  “Hi.”

“Did you do it?”

Her eyes still followed Adam and the woman as they walked towards the campus.  “Yes,” Sloan answered, “but I want to know why.”

A growling noise reached her ears.  Frowning at the phone, Sloan shifted slightly on her feet.  Impatience ate at her.  As soon as she could get off the phone, she would be able to get to work.  Until then, they were wasting precious time.  “You don’t ask the questions,” the male voice snarled.  “I thought you understood that already.”

She closed her eyes, wishing for the nightmare that was her life to end.  “Fine,” she relented.  “No questions, but hold up your end of the bargain.  Let me talk to him.”

Silence met her request, and she almost wanted to take her words back.  How many times did she have to learn that her aggressive attitude got her in trouble more than it helped her?  What was it that her brother had said?  You kill more bees with honey than with vinegar? 

“Hello,” a voice cracked on the other end.

Instant tears flowed to her eyes.  “Hey,” she whispered, her voice cracking.  “How are you?”

“Good,” he answered with a harsh chuckle.  Sloan knew that he was lying, knew that her brother would say anything to keep her from worrying. 

“What have they done to you?”

Silence once more, but Sloan held her breath, waiting for her brother’s next words.  “Nothing that won’t heal.”

He tried to keep his tone light, to not worry her, but even then, she could hear the pain.  With a small sob, she slid to the cold cement road.  It seemed like all her problems were easier to deal with while she was sitting.  It didn’t matter that there were cars passing her by, that there were people giving her odd looks.  Right now, all that mattered was her brother.  “I’m going to get you out of there.”

“Sloan,” her brother snapped in a hard tone.  “I’m the older one.”

“By fifteen minutes,” she interrupted, making him chuckle.

“I am the older one,” he repeated with more force.  “Let me be the older brother.”

Shaking her head, she paused when she remembered he couldn’t see her.  “You spent your life protecting me.  It’s time you let me do the same for you.  Plus, once I do what they want, they’ll let you go.”

“Promises from people like them aren’t ones that are likely to be kept.  Just forget about me, move on, and stop living your life—”

A shout echoed through the phone line as her brother’s words were cut off.  With a sob, she covered her mouth with one hand.  A shallow breath flew from her lips as she moved her hand away from her face.  She wouldn’t let them hear her when she was down.  She wouldn’t give them the satisfaction of knowing how much her brother’s pain hurt her.  “What did you do to my brother?” she snapped.

“Nothing that won’t heal,” the male voice mocked. 

“You bastard,” she shouted as she jumped to her feet.  “If you do one more thing to my brother—”

“You’ll what?” the man asked with a cruel chuckle.  “Don’t forget.  We have your brother Sloan.  His life is in our hands.”  His voice softened.  “Just do what we say; help us.  As soon as you help us, we can help you.”

“No more,” she mumbled.  “Do you understand me?  I can only take so much of his pain before I decide that it isn’t worth it anymore.  Wouldn’t I be a better sister if I let you kill him?  Would it not be a more peaceful living if you stopped torturing him and let him die?”  Her voice lowered.  “Hurt him one more time, and I’ll take his advice and move on.”

She snapped the phone closed.  Closing her eyes, she let out a deep breath.  Was her threat a mistake?  Was that the last time she would ever hear from her brother?  Sloan shook her head, clearing her thoughts.  All she had to do is what they said.  After that, she could see her brother again.

“Ma’am.”  Her eyes snapped open, meeting a light blue pair.  The man tilted his head as if he were studying her.  With a frown on his face, he leaned closer.  “Do you need help?”

Clearing her throat, she stood as tall as she could and still she didn’t meet the man’s height.  “No thank you.”

He nodded, turning to look towards the car she had rammed earlier then back to her truck.  “So, why did you hit them?”

Her mouth opened before snapping closed.  What was her cover story?  “My brakes,” she rushed.  “They weren’t working.”

“Nice cover story,” he said with a nod.  “I don’t believe I got your name.”

“I don’t believe I gave it to you,” she snapped, before wincing.  “I’m sorry.  I’ve just had a bad day.”

The man nodded once more before holding out his hand.  “I’m Zeke.  I came to get my friend’s car.”

“Nice to meet you,” she replied without touching his proffered hand.  Too many times had she trusted the wrong person, she wasn’t about to let that happen again.

Zeke laughed, a large smile spreading across his face.  “You’re perfect,” he mumbled before shaking his head.  “Nice to meet you, Sloan.”  He turned his back on her as he walked towards the car.  With a pause, he glanced over his shoulder.  “Don’t worry.  Your life will turn around soon.”

“Wait!” she called out as he slid into the car.  “How did you know my name?” she whispered as he disappeared down the road.