Part 7

Chapter 7

She dragged into the classroom, later than she would have liked.  The professor kept speaking as if he was no stranger to people lagging in his classroom.  As far as she knew, he wasn’t.  Sloan doubted she was the first one to ever show up to his class late, but that fact didn’t bode well with her.  She wanted to slip by unnoticed, not have every eye on her as she entered the room.  There were only one set of eyes that bothered her.  She could feel them burning a hole into her back as she made her way to one of the only empty seats in the large classroom.

Pulling the chair out, she chanced glancing up at the eyes that had been locked on her since she entered the room.  It shouldn’t have surprised her when she made eye contact with the man she had hit earlier.  What did surprise her was the anger still in his eyes.  She had told him it was an accident, that it was something she could not prevent, and she had thought that she did a damn good job at convincing him she was telling the truth.

Could he still be angry at her from putting his girlfriend at risk?  Sloan’s heart jumped at the thought of him caring so much about another person.  She had that with her brother, a deep bond that was unbreakable no matter how many people tried to sever it.  Shaking her head, Sloan glanced at the woman she now envied.  Adam was leaned towards her as if he could not stand to be away.  Her green eyes were vivid, taking in the room with a mix of curiousness and sharpness.  At least Sloan could say there was one thing that marred the woman’s perfection, her hair.  She had seen the styles of today, but why anyone would get spots in their hair, Sloan didn’t know.

The woman’s eyes snapped towards Sloan, making her nerves stand on end.  There, in those bright eyes, was understanding as if she knew all of Sloan’s darkest secrets.  She couldn’t handle it, couldn’t handle the caring look the woman gave her.  Turning away as quickly as she could, Sloan eased into her chair.  The only problem was that her chair wasn’t where it was moments ago.  As she hit the ground hard, she heard people in the room gasp.

Some laughed, as if they could not help themselves, while others turned away, listening to the professor who still spoke as if nothing had happened.  With her face red in mortification, Sloan bowed her head slightly.  This was the cherry on top of an awful day.  A sigh escaped her mouth as she replayed back her own promises.  Do not let people see you while you are down.  Do not give them the gratification of putting you there either. 

Glancing up with new resolve on her face, she faltered when she saw the woman standing there studying her.  Her hand jerked out, and when Sloan did not take it, the woman narrowed her eyes.  “Let me help you up.  It is partly my fault you are her to begin with.”

“What?” Sloan mumbled, while reaching out to grasp the woman’s hand. 

With strength that surprised her, Sloan was pulled to her feet.  “Nothing that concerns you now.  I’m Alexandria Holt.  It’s nice to meet you Sloan Wilson.”

Taking a step away from Alexandria, Sloan bumped into her chair.  “How did you know my name?”

Alexandria laughed at her as if her words were the most amusing thing in the world.  “On the first day, the majority of professors do call roll.”

“Oh,” Sloan mumbled, feeling her face turn red for the second time today.  “It’s just that some odd things have happened to me today.”

Alexandrian opened her mouth once more, but a voice cut her off.  “Ally, take a seat.”

Her eyes snapped towards the professor and a small frown marred her features.  The professor just smiled back, a little triumph in his gaze.  With an annoyed huff, she walked back towards her seat.  “Yes, Professor Jones.”

The professor laughed as if he and Alexandria were sharing a secret joke that none was privy to, but when another person chuckled along, Sloan knew they weren't the only two in on the joke. She looked towards Adam, wondering how the man could look so angry moments before but laugh with such happiness. As soon as her eyes were on him, the happiness and laughter faded. Eyes narrowing, he stared at her with the same anger as earlier. With a frown, she turned from him, wishing that she wouldn't have looked at him. Maybe then, she could have let him continue with the carefree sound. Shaking her head, she eased into the chair, relieved that this time the only thing her butt hit was bottom of the seat. She could still feel his eyes though, burrowing into her back with an intensity that she didn't welcome.

***

“That was childish,” Ally whispered in his ear as she took her seat.

Adam glanced away from Sloan momentarily to smile at Ally.  “I just wanted to see how she would react.”

“By pulling out her chair?” Ally hissed while smacking him on his arm.  “That was just cruel. People laughed at her, Adam.  Do you know how it feels to have a hundred people laugh while you fall to the ground?”

Detecting something in her voice, he shifted towards her.  “Ally,” he mumbled under his breath.  “I’m sorry.”

She glanced away from him, treating him like a rebelling teenager, and maybe he was acting a little childish.  Maybe, pulling out Sloan’s chair hadn’t been the best way of going at this situation, but the woman knew more than she was letting on.  He could see it in her eyes, could hear it in her voice, she had secrets.

“It’s not me that you need to apologize to,” she mumbled while centering all her attention on Jones.

With a curse, he followed her lead.  How the woman had gotten Jones a position as their professor, he didn’t have a clue.  It shouldn’t have surprised him though, not with the way she found a way to get everything that she wanted.  Past images flew through his mind, reminding him that Ally didn’t get everything she wanted.  She didn’t have Blake, didn’t have her bond-mate. 

A hand curled around his, bringing him from his thoughts.  Glancing over at Ally, he noticed that her eyes were still on Jones.  With a smile, he squeezed her hand, knowing that she wasn’t too angry when she squeezed back.

“I’ll apologize,” he whispered, bringing a smile to her face. 

His insides churned at the site of the smile.  He recognized that smile, and at that moment, he knew that he had been manipulated.  He glanced towards Sloan, knowing that the woman played some part in Ally’s meddling. Nevertheless, whatever it was that Ally was planning, he didn’t want any part of it.  No matter how pretty the plan was.