Part 23

Chapter 23

He walked passed his sister, further into the cabin, and had to admit to himself that he had no idea where he was going.  He could always walk back to where she was, lie down on the ground, and try to get some sleep, but Slator knew that was never going to happen.  He was wound up, his emotions brimming on the surface.  Even if he tried to go to sleep, it wouldn’t happen.

How could she not believe him?  If he were going to joke with her, it wouldn’t have been about something this big.  Did she not think about how he felt when he found out?  Scared that Sloan wouldn’t want to be around him any longer, nervous of what she would say when he told her the truth.  They weren’t related by blood, which meant she would never be as he was.  When that thought had crossed his mind after talking to their uncle, terror had hit him in the middle of his chest and stayed there.  She would never accept him for what he was, but even then, he knew that she would come around.

He had always thought that what he was would keep her from wanting to be near him, not who he was.  Hadn’t she remembered how they were treated growing up? After all that their supposed parents did to them, did she honestly think that blood was what kept them together?  Back then, he would have happily run from his family, only if Sloan would have left with him.  She was his sister, the little girl he had protected his entire life and something as small as the blood running through their veins wasn’t going to change that fact.  She was still his sister, and even if she didn’t want him around, he was going to continue to protect her with everything that he had.

With a frustrated sigh, he stopped in the middle of the long hallway he was standing in.  It was time to admit to himself that he was lost, but what could he do?  Knock on a door and ask for directions to the empty room Ally had promised him?  That wouldn’t go over well.  It would take only a second for some of these people to realize that he was a shifter, and as soon as they did that, they would go on alert.  He took a deep breath and hissed when the smell on his body reached his nose.  They’d probably think he was a mutt, with their scent all over him. 

First thing he needed was a shower, but even after that shower, what was he supposed to do?  Run around naked?  The thought sent a small smile to his lips.  That would definitely go over well with everyone in the giant house they called a cabin.  He straightened slightly, new determination easing his moves. It didn’t matter if he was still furious at Sloan, still wishing that his sister would stop thinking about the technicalities of it all and realize that they were still family.  He stunk.

A loud yawn sounded from the door he was standing nearby, and as it opened, Slator stared at the brown haired man who emerged.  Behind him, a cry flew through the room, making Slator frown slightly.  He didn’t know that there were children in the cabin.  His mind went out, trying to pick up how many were actually in the room, but he hit a solid wall.  A solid wall he was beginning to realize was Alexandria Holt, the woman he had heard so much about.

The man rubbed his eyes as another yawn escaped his mouth, and Slator stood there silently, wondering if the man even realized he was there.  Probably not, with the determined look on his face, the man looked as if he were after one thing only.  Slator thought that one thing was a bottle, up until the man’s brown eyes landed directly on him.  The door slid shut, and as it did, the brown eyes that were staring at him turned gold as they glowed.