Part 22

Chapter 22

Sloan allowed her brother to ease her towards the porch.  Only moments ago, he couldn’t even stand on his own, but now, he led her towards the stairs without even a wince.  Her eyebrows drew together in thought.  How long had her brother been like this?  How long had he been a shifter without her realizing it?  Was she really that oblivious?  Did she honestly not even pick up the signs?

“I hid them from you,” Slator mumbled as he drew away from her.  As she eased onto the steps next to Adam, Slator paced in front of her, looking like a caged lion.  His head snapped towards her, and a laugh escaped his mouth.  “A big cat for sure, but a lion?”

Next to her, Adam shifted in his seat, and Sloan had a feeling that he was trying not to get up and pace beside her brother.  What was it that the two of them had to say?  Could it really be that bad?  No matter what, she would always love her brother.  He had been there for her from the beginning.  He had stuck up for her when her parents no longer would.  He made sure all the bullies from school left her alone.  He was her protector, and no matter what he thought was so bad, she would forgive him.

Her eyes glanced towards the man beside her.  Despite the fact that they had just met, despite the fact that she knew little about him, she trusted Adam.  She knew that he was keeping things from her, that he had probably even done things in the last couple of days that were wrong, but it didn’t change a thing.  She was drawn to him, and even after she went to tell Slator’s kidnappers just where Ally was, Adam had sent her help.  For that alone, she had to give him the benefit of the doubt, had to listen to exactly what he had to say.

“Him first,” Slator said, as he pointed at Adam.  “His will only take a minute.  Plus, the man did nothing wrong, Sloan.  Once you think about it, you would have done the same thing to protect me.”

Adam cut his eyes towards Slator, and a small angry glare fell onto his face.  “Stay out of my head.”

Slator held his hands up in surrender.  “I can’t get into your head.  I’ve tried.  There’s only a little bit that I can pick up before a hit a wall.”

“Ally,” Adam said with a smile.

Her brother frowned at the man, and Sloan knew that if she didn’t ask questions now, they would get into a nightlong conversation about the bond Ally and Adam shared.  “What did you do, Adam?”

Adam opened his mouth, but before he could say a word, Slator froze.  “Holey shit, Sloan.  No wonder why you didn’t freak out. You’re in love with him.”

“I am not!” she said a little too loud as she jerked to her feet.  “I just met the man.”

“If you just met him, then why are you jealous of the bond him and Ally share? You’ve never been like that.  Even when we were little and all those kids talked about the animals they had, you weren’t jealous because Mom wouldn’t let you have a dog.”

“You shouldn’t be jealous,” Adam said, now standing in front of her with a smile.  “The bond was something neither of want.”

Her arms crossed under her chest as she glared at both of them.  “I am not jealous,” she hissed.  “Now, one of you better talk before I shoot you.”

Slator and Adam glanced at one another before Slator shrugged.  “You better start talking.  I’ve seen that look before; she’s serious.”

“Why can’t you go first?” Adam mumbled while flicking his eyes towards Sloan.

A laugh escaped her brother’s mouth before he shook his head.  “You’re hoping she’ll be angry enough with me that she won’t be that mad at you.  Nope.  You’re on your own.”