Part 16

Chapter 16

When Ally walked into the room, all eyes turned towards her.  Even the children glanced towards her.  The only one who didn’t look at Ally was Sloan.  Instead, she watched their faces as they stared at the woman and was shocked to find what those faces told her.  Various degrees of respect, love, and even a little bit of expectancy shinned in their expressions.  Sloan glanced towards the woman herself and felt a frown form on her face.  She understood why they would like Ally.  The woman was strong and surprisingly caring, but why would they look at her as if they were waiting for her next word before making a move?

“Charlie, go hold the woman’s hand or something,” Ally muttered while narrowing her eyes at Andrew.  “I have a headache.”

Drew flushed slightly before sending Ally a large smile that she returned with a roll of her eyes.  Turning her attention on Sloan, Ally motioned her forward.  Sloan stood, Noah in her arms, and began walking towards the woman.  Even as she did, her eyes scanned behind Ally, looking for the one person who hadn’t returned.

“He needs a little time,” Ally whispered as she took a restless Noah.  As soon as Ally had her hands on the boy, he smiled largely at her, showing off one or two teeth.  “I heard you, honey,” Ally said in a bright tone while placing a kiss on Noah’s forehead. 

“Told you he’s momma’s boy,” Zeke mumbled loud enough for Sloan to hear.

A noise that sounded very much like a growl escaped Noah as he snuggled closer to Ally with a slightly smug expression.  Sloan blinked her eyes at the little boy, and as much as she tried, she couldn’t convince herself that it was a burp this time.  “He growled.”

Something grabbed Sloan’s hand, and before she could jerk away from the hold, it tightened.  “It’s okay,” Charlie said in a cajoling tone.  “Ally wants Drew to talk since you seem to trust him the most out of us all, but unless we want you to fall to your knees and beg the man to make you his slave; I’ll have to hold your hand.”

Sloan attempted to pull away from Charlie’s grip, but the woman was surprisingly strong.  “I wouldn’t do that,” Sloan denied with a shocked laugh.  “I have more self-control than that.”

“Let her go,” Ally said in a bored tone.  All eyes cut to her, but the only ones that were narrowed were Drew’s.  He shook his head, but Ally simply raised an eyebrow at him as if to dare him to deny her request. 

“Fine,” Drew said in a slightly dejected tone.  “Let her go, but as soon as the effects start taking over, grab ahold of her.  I’d prefer Adam not to want to tear my throat out the next time he sees me.”

Charlie nodded her head and let go of Sloan, but Sloan was too busy staring at Drew with a slight frown on her face.  It was the only words she had heard the man say, but she had felt nothing more that curious as he kept speaking.  That was until he opened his mouth once more.

“Sloan,” he whispered in a light tone.  The words floated from his mouth and as they reached her ears, a shiver flew through her heated body.  Her tongue flicked across her bottom lip as if she were trying to taste his words, even as she took an involuntary step towards him.  The man was beautiful, beyond beautiful; he was perfect.  He was everything she had ever wanted in a man, everything she needed. 

“Grab her,” he demanded, and a moan escaped her mouth.  Her hand snapped out as if she could reach him from her spot, but someone blocked her view.  Sloan stepped to the side, and when the person stepped with her, she felt rage eat at her chest. 

“Move,” she snapped even as the person reached towards her.

Sloan reacted.  Her hand curled into a fist and swung at the figure, but before it could connect, another person slammed her to the ground.  She gasped as the figure growled at her, and for the first time, Sloan actually looked at the person lying on top of her.