Part 6 - Truths

Letty's POV

We settled into a nice pattern and it was undisturbed until four months later. One Saturday night Mia wound up in Mr Toretto's old garage and she realised the Cobra was no longer there.

"Letty," Mia said gently as we sat down after dinner one Saturday night. Tradition dictated we drink tea after dinner. It was into November now and the evenings were beginning to get dark.

"Yeh?"

"Want to tell me where the Cobra went?" Her voice was gentle but poisonously soft. It was more unnerving than if she had been outright yelling at me. It was more like she knew where the Cobra was but was just waiting on a confession.

I hesitated and pretended to be unfazed by the question. "What do you mean?"

"Letty, it ain't in my Father's garage and it ain't in the garage." Her words were prepared. She knew I was going to try and deny that I didn't know where it was.

I sat back and nodded. "I know it ain't there."

"Well where is it?"

I looked up at her but didn't let her faze me this time. "I sold her, she's gone."

Mia's face turned a chalky white making her face contrast startlingly with her hair. I saw her fork shaking in her hand and I felt a bead of sweat trickling down the back of my neck. Nerves were catching up to me. I'd been hoping she wouldn't notice for a lot longer but I supposed it was better if she noticed now than in a few weeks time because then it would be Christmas. If she found out on the mouth of Christmas her first Christmas without her Father would be more difficult than it needed to be.

"W-w-hy?" She stammered. Her eyes widened as she looked at me in shock.

I needed to be honest, lies would make this worse but damn lies had gotten me into this. "We were short fifteen hundred dollars four months ago. I sold the car and used the money to make up the difference. I kept the rest of the money to use if things ever got tight again."

Tears threatened to spill over the bottom of her eyes and down her cheeks. My stomach twisted unpleasantly because I knew I'd been the one that made her look like that. I'd hurt my best friend. I was a terrible person.

"You did that for me? So I could stay here and keep the store and the garage?"

Her words surprised me. They were sad tears at all shining in her eyes but happy ones.

"Course I did. Mia, I just didn't want you to worry."

She rose from her seat and attacked me with a warm hug. I hugged her back but I still felt guilty that I'd made her cry.

Mia sat beside me in silence and I stretched my legs out a little. My legs were always sore from standing too long during the day and from not sleeping well enough at night. Part of me just wanted to go for a run or move around. I was a physical being and it was the only way I could cope with my emotions. It was the easiest way to get everything out.

Mia looked over at me and must have realised that I was ready to start moving.

"You know, you don't have to do everything all the time."

I nodded in agreement and forced myself to sit there. Boredom hit me quickly and Mia suggested we play truths. Well seeing as it was Saturday we made it interesting with a bottle of vodka and two shot glasses.

"Right just take turns?" Mia suggested. She'd laid down the rules, once asked a question you had to answer and if you refused you downed the shot. If you didn't answer honestly enough, in the other persons opinion, you did the shot. I'd probably end up shit faced, not for the first time. We downed two shots each to loosen up before we started.