Part 7 - Christmas Shopping

Letty's POV

My head was aching when I got up the next day but miraculously I wasn't sick. Mia was as sick as a dog and vomited for hours. I left her in bed for a couple of hours and brought her a fresh glass of water every hour.

Instead I tidied up a bit and opened windows getting rid of the smell of vodka and vomit. I sprayed air freshener to mask the scent. I ended up outside and tinkering at Dom's Escort. She needed something more. NOS. A good fuel injection system would help that. I pondered over how to go about it for a bit then realised how. Electronic fuel injection. I'd do it gradually and spread the cost out.

As I walked back out of the garage with grease stained hands and a now grey spotted tank top I returned to the house. Mia was sat at the table now, struggling over an English paper.

"Girl, it's still going to be there in the morning!" I reminded her. She'd spent the whole day yesterday studying from the time I left until the time I returned. That was the best part of twelve hours.

"It's only two more paragraphs," she sighed.

"When is it due?"

"Tuesday." She sighed as she thought then I watched as the pen streaked across the page, despite her rush her writing still looked good. I admired her dedication. I'd never liked school enough to study as much as Mia did.

I went and changed out of my dirty tank top into a hoodie and threw the tank top into the wash. Pulling the bobble out of my hair I felt my wavy hair fall to my mid back and I shook it out gently. My phone caught my eye, it lay abandoned on my dresser usually all day on a Sunday. I pressed one of the buttons carelessly to see if I had any messages from clients for appointments this week. Only two and they'd be able to be slotted in on Friday so I replied quickly. The date caught my attention. November 27th. Less than a month to Christmas. Mia wouldn't be looking forward to Christmas but there was no reason for this Christmas to be sad. It could be fun. Perhaps Santa could come again. I could maybe spare a couple of hundred of Mitchell's money and splurge for once. It was for Mia after all, she cooked for me every day and I'd never came home to no dinner. She worked damn hard. Yeh I could splurge a few hundred on her. Just this once.

"Mia! I'm going out for a bit!" I yelled to her from the bottom of the stairs.

"Okay!"

That was easy I decided as I stepped out into the drive. I took Mr Toretto's Mustang with me into town and when I arrived at the shopping centre I really decided I didn't had a clue what to get her. Aimlessly I walked around completely amazed by the amount of clothes in shop windows and the different styles. I went into a few shops only to be frowned at by posh sales women. Maybe this was a bad idea. I gritted my teeth and carried on, no I had to do something nice for her.

One shop caught my eye and my stomach ached as I looked at it. It was a really girly shop. Makeup. As I cautiously made my way towards it I felt out of my depth. I knew nothing about makeup and it was soon going to be very obvious to the women who worked there. Walking through the door of the store, the smell of makeup hit me. The powdery smell of chemicals paired with the overwhelming perfume of the saleswomen overpowered me. This was foreign to me. Definitely in way over my head.

"Hello," one lady chirped. She wore a black blouse which was unbuttoned one button too far exposing a generous chest which she seemed to make sure I'd get an eyeful of. Her skirt was tight and her feet were swollen in the heels she wore. Beneath her heavy makeup I could see spots and wrinkle lines. I'd put her in her late forties but as a woman who desperately tried to look younger. Suddenly wearing no makeup and jeans and a hoodie all my life seemed really appealing.