Part 17 - Ride or Die

Letty's POV

The months end rolled in and I was sat doing the bills. We were short once more. The mortgage  on the garage was paid off thankfully but the store still needed paid as did everything else. I sat there with my stress levels rising and my hand running frantically through my hair as I failed to understand where all our money was. Two thousand short, more than we had ever been short. My heart pounding I raced up the stairs to my room and unzipped the dress pillow to find my emergency wad of cash. Only a thousand there. Nowhere close. Returning downstairs I poured over the books for something I had missed. Now approaching one in the morning my eyes stung with the effort of staying open.

"You okay?" Dom asked from the kitchen doorway.

"No," I murmured defeated.

"What's wrong?" He asked as he made his way towards me at the table. Dom fell into a chair beside me and I slid the bills over to him. The cable bill was huge as was the electric bill. Why were we so damn short?

"Shit! What we going to do Let?"

"I don't know Dom. We've a week and a half to get it sorted."

Dom nodded and scratched his head as he thought. "Leave it with me. Give me two days to think."

"Okay, but you ain't betting what we have in races. That Escort still needs work if we're gonna win everything." I'd even abandoned my project of rebuilding the 1970's Plymouth which was currently in Mr Toretto's garage.

Dom nodded in agreement. Closing all the books up we packed them away so Mia wouldn't see them and freak out. She had enough to be stressed about, especially with school.

Then he took my hand and we headed up the stairs to bed. We now slept in his room together every night. I stripped down to my underwear and climbed into his bed. Wrapping myself up in the soft sheets I wriggled to get comfy. Dom climbed in the other side and the mattress bowed slightly beneath his weight. I rolled onto my side to face him. I loved this part of the day, just climbing into bed together. His warm hand came to rest on the base of my back and pulled me closer. Leaning my head on his chest I let myself get caught up in him. It wasn't even about sex anymore, it's enough to know someone is going to be there when you wake up.

Dom's two days were up quickly. On the Tuesday night we sat at the kitchen table and he told me his plan. Worry was getting to me and I felt like I was ageing over night. Even Mia knew we were up to something.

"Right, Tran and I have come to an awkward agreement," Dom began.

My eyes immediately rolled. I shook my head. I wasn't sure I even wanted to hear this. Whatever he was about to suggest was a bad idea. Real bad. It would probably have a slight criminal element and be dangerous. I liked living on the edge, doing things for the thrill, but I wasn't sure how comfortable I was with crime.

"There's these trucks right?" Dom explained. "They carry electronic goods. Basically we need a team together to nick them. Three precision drivers will be plenty but only thing is cars. We need three good sturdy cars. I know Hector has a few Civics he'd maybe loan us. We strip the number plates off them and cover our faces a little. Make ourselves less obvious. We steal the contents of the truck and sell it on. Tran is willing to help us. We go tomorrow though."

I bit my lip. He was insane. "You're officially insane in my book man."

"Ride or die?" He asked. That was our question. I could jump on now or I could bail and he was leaving this completely up to me. One look into his eyes showed me his determination, they were a hardened shade of brown darkening into mahogany tones. He'd do this without me and I'd promised him I'd always ride or die with him.