Chapter 22: The Deal

PART 2: THE WAR FOR WATER

AXEL

I smile faintly as she sprints towards the water, her hair swaying like the waves of the Atlantic Ocean. I had noticed that look of joy on her pleasant face, as if she had never felt it before. And if she did, only for fleeting moments. I just need to persuade her when she is like that again, make her feel guilty. A cunning grin flashes on my face.

"Are you going to go for a swim or not?" I approach her lithe but feminine form. Her hands are cupping the water, trembling as if it would suddenly vanish forever.

"You guys have had all of this," She waves her arms frantically, "And you have never thought to share it until now," She was crying, tears of unending rage running down her face. Guilt that has always gnawed at me bites harder now.

"My little brother was always so sickly because he never had enough water. He almost died once after fainting and didn't learn how to properly walk until he was five! Did you fools ever think of all those people who were suffering while you guys can afford to have the luxury to have gallons of water just lying around!" The fire in her eyes, the undiluted fury, is enough for me to recoil.

"I understand," I say as gently as I can. What have I done? Angering her was never my intention! How am I going to convince her now?

"Hah! Like hell you understand. You've never had to go a day in your life without water," Disgust fills her face.

"No I haven't. But I understand hardship, suffering. I have lost so many loved ones. Heck, I was even abandoned by my so called family. And now, I have the weight of my people on me, of your people too. Believe it or not, I want a better life for them too. So don't you dare tell me for one second that I don't understand!" My voice is a yell now. I hadn't raised my voice like that in a long time. Never lose your cool, your patience, your cunning. That is what forges a great leader. I hear his voice drill that into my mind countless times.

What was it about this girl that made me lose my temper?

Arika's face is filled with shame and empathy.

"I am sorry. I shouldn't have spoken to you like that," I reach down to lightly grab her hand, registering the reaction on her face. Good, let those feelings for me grow.

"Arika, help me. Help me end this war and give your friends a better life. It's not too late to join me. Act as my spy, my inside person. And when this is all over, everyone will be spared. I don't care who they are, there will be no more death, no more suffering," And I meant every last word that I said. It is my destiny to fix this ruthless world, broken and abused by our ancestors, so people like her don't have to survive anymore. They could finally start living. I chose to carry this burden a long time ago, the price I pay for this power. And I plan to see this through until the day I die.

Her eyes brim with hope. Not an ember of it, no, a fiery flame. Triumph fills me for I know I am victorious. Arika is the key to winning this war.