Chapter 64: Insane

BRIANNA

"Don't die on me out there." I say firmly as Sage tucks a strand of my wild, golden curls behind my ear.

"I'll try not to. It's going to be hard to, with all the girls fawning over me." His green eyes sparkle with marvelous humor that I have come to treasure.

We walk in comfortable silence toward the gate, where the other soldiers have started gathering as well, each hugging a loved one or laughing with their friend. But Axel stood alone, pretending like it didn't hurt to have someone to share one last joke with before going on a potentially fatal mission, pretending like he wasn't looking for that one girl as he scans over his camp in solitude. Sage approaches the Imperator, their hands clasping in a cordial greeting.

"Thank you for agreeing to accompany me. The outside world is a dangerous place these days. But I need someone I can trust to learn more about whatever Frieda is using to control these people. My people." Axel clenches his fist, his eyes still wandering and searching for a girl he had thrown away.

"I miss the fresh air anyway. What's a couple of brainwashed zombies?" Sage chuckles lightly. He straps in his black backpack, accentuating his toned arms and tall, lean frame. I grab Axel quickly, dragging him to the side.

"Why did you do it, Axel? Why did you hurt Arika?" I wait for the truth to spill from him, the truth written all over his face. Satisfaction fills a dark part of me as he flinches at the sound of her name.

"Because it was the right thing to do." He states a matter a factly like Arika was nothing except for a final piece to whatever master plan he had concocted. Every fiber of my soul told me Axel is not this kind of man. Only time could tell.

"Okay. Whatever you say. It isn't my business anyway." An inviting breeze kisses my cheeks as the soldiers ready themselves toward the gaping exit.

"I'll bring you a couple of hydrangeas. The periwinkle blue kind that would bring out your eyes. So you'll never forget how beautiful you are." Sage whispers into my ear in our final embrace. I had never met a man like him, clever as he was compassionate, witty as he was wondrous.

"Aw. And I'll bring you your two-week old laundry still sitting in our room to remind you how gross you are." I joke as I attempt to hide the tears of gratitude mixing with those of uneasiness, the fear that once he left those gates, I may never see that flashing smile ever again.

"Love you. I'll see you soon."

"Love you too." They take off into a noiseless sprint, disappearing into the twilight world that lay outside of our hidden sanctuary. The emerald trees swaying ever so slightly at the gateway is the only sign the men were ever there.

Arika is busy washing and folding linen cloths as I stop by her facility center. She had taken over Rhea's position as Chief Healer since her untimely death three days ago.

"How are you?" I ask simply, not knowing how else to comfort someone who had just experienced two devastating losses.

"I'm managing. How are you?" Arika's tone is so unfamiliar, too polite and guarded, a tone she usually left for strangers. Am I a stranger to her now?

"I am good. You sure are managing quite well. This place looks in better condition than ever." I gesture at the overly polished chairs, the neatly folded sheets, the perfectly aligned cots and tables and chairs. She doesn't respond, just continues to fold and scrub and polish, as she constantly is these days.

"Do you want to grab lunch later today?" I inquire hesitantly.

"No. Thank you for the offer really, but I have things to do." Arika doesn't move from her seat on her chair, Rhea's old chair.