Chapter 41: Reunited

ARIKA

I watch Axel's face. He is still breathtakingly handsome, despite the exhaustion and the fatigue that has hollowed him out. Please be alive. I feel the pulse on the hand I am clutching, but I won't believe it until I hear his voice again, until I see those blue eyes again. The boat rocks under us, the waves a comfort and a blessing right now.

The deathly stillness in him is broken by a few sputtering coughs.

"Where am I?" He asks groggily, his voice hoarse. I help him up, cringing at the bone I feel rather than the muscle that was once there.

"They came. Your people came for you, Axel," I smile. Axel stares up at me, finally registering what has happened. And then a darkness washes over his expression. He yanks his hand from mine.

"Where's Scarlett?" He says curtly as if we were strangers.

"Her body is being held in the deck below," He stands up, but stumbles at the unsteadiness of the boat. I hold his arm to steady him.

"Don't touch me," Axel says roughly, already walking towards the stairs that led to the deck below.

"Axel, I am so sorry," My voice breaks.

"If you think that's going to change anything, it's not," The sting in his voice feels like a thousand whips to the back.

"Believe me, Axel! I wish I was the one who died rather than Scarlett. You deserve happiness and I took that away from you!" I say through tears. Axel stops walking, but he does not turn around.

"So please, take my life, do whatever you need to so you stop suffering! If I am going to live the rest of my life with you hating me, Axel, then I would rather die," I don't look at him, but walk towards the edge of the boat. I wait for Axel to push me in and let the sea claim my life like it has so many other people. I close my eyes and inhale the tang of the ocean. I deserved this a long time ago. It's time for me to join you, Calvin. I feel Axel's hot breath on my neck and his hand on my back. I smile sadly. Let this set you free.

But I don't feel cold water.

Instead, I feel strong arms around me, I hear a hammering heart in my ear.

"Arika, I don't hate you. I hate myself and I just wanted someone to blame. But if you die," His arms tighten around me.

"I would not have a purpose anymore. So please don't go. I have lost too much already. Help me through this because I can't alone," He sobs, emotion making his voice thick. I am too shocked to speak.

"I can't do this alone! Arika, say something!" He looks desperately into my wide eyes. I finally find the will to speak.

"I'll give you all of my strength, my love for as long as you want it. I will stand by you forever, no matter what. It's what Scarlett would have wanted," I embrace him this time, comforting myself as much as him. We stood there forever, time seemingly frozen except for the waves that rushed by.

"You can cry if you want. After Calvin died, that's all I did. It can be so hard to just hold it all in," I finally say after an eternity of silence. He removes his arms around me and I shiver at the icy wind, already missing his warmth.

"I've cried too much in this life," Axel says, his eyes cloudy and far away. I really wonder what his past was like.

"Come on, let's go down to the deck," We begin our descent. I search for Bri's face and she lights up when we make eye contact. I rush towards her and we crush each other in a much-needed hug.

"Too many hugs for you in a day?" She laughs as we sit down on a bench that outlooks the waters.

"On a normal day, definitely. But today isn't a normal day," We look away, not wanting to see the suffering in one another's eyes.

"It's been so long since I last saw you. I didn't know a person could become so badass within a year," I try and lighten the mood.

"Um, what about you honey? Damn, where did you learn to shoot like that? The Arika I knew couldn't even eat a meal without spilling!" We chuckle, wishing for those happier days.

"It's been a long two years for all of us. But things are changing Bri. Axel brings hope for us all. No one needs to die anymore," I explain everything to her.

"You know, I would believe you but, I don't know, he does look exactly like your old lover and that may or may not have biased your decision," She cocks an eyebrow at me, grinning.

"Fine, you exposed me!" I put my hands up in mock surrender.

"Just kidding, of course I believe you!" We giggle and I realize it feels so good to have a girl to talk to again.

"When we get to Aquaria, I'll ask Axel to rescue Jake for you. It'll be a wonderful reunion," Immediately, I know I had said the wrong thing. Her face becomes infinitely sorrowful.

"He's not around anymore," A gloom weighs down on us, now heavier than ever.

"Arika, they killed him because he helped a little girl escape from prison! No one deserves that, no one! After he died, all I could think was, is Arika dead. And I knew I had to leave soon, but not until I had found you," Her knuckles are white as she grips the railing.

"I know I suck at cheesy speeches. But I promise, best friend, we'll never leave each other's side again. I've got your back, mate," I pat her back awkwardly, just like old times.

"Let's head in and stuff our faces. I heard they have ham sandwiches,"

"Gotta get that ab protection,"

Perhaps things were finally getting better.