Chapter 52: Empty Marriages

ARIKA

"I have been forced into a marriage. To form a union with the Southern Armies of Australia."

Everything stills, all the noise from outside fading away until all I hear is the roaring in my ears, in defiance, in utter refusal.

"When." I choke out the word like poison in my mouth.

"Two days ago. My advisors notified me, saying that it would guarantee our victory. And that Australia would turn against us if I didn't do it." Tears slip out of his eyes, defeat filling every crevice of him. I want to feel angry at him for abandoning me like this, for giving me everything to then leave me with nothing, but all I see is a selfless man doing his duties for his country.

"They promised me this last night with you. So please don't go." He extends a hand and I stare into those gorgeous wretched eyes. Slowly, I reach to take it. But a voice in me tells me to stop and I drop my arm.

"I can't. Goodbye Axel Mendez." And before I can collapse sobbing, I run, away from him, from the tent where everything had gone to hell, from all my problems, from everything.

1 week later

The days felt empty, hollow. The sunsets has lost its color, the food losing their taste. Everything is mute and dry. All the love and magic I had thought I would never lose is gone, like Fate had showed me Heaven just so Hell could seem ten times worse.

I flip lifelessly through the pages of the heavy textbook, the words leaving my brain as soon as I read them.

"Would you like some food?" The servant asks kindly, her head peering through my wooden door.

"No." She nods sadly and closes the door gently behind her. In the past week, my world has turned upside down. No longer did I live in Axel's quarters. No longer did my window show the gorgeous view of the waterfall and the ocean. No long did I even see Axel. Instead I lived in a guest bedroom in the lower level of the palace. That is all you are now, a guest until you can earn enough money to move out. Axel had tried to visit me, to try and say that we could stay friends. Him and all of that crap could go to hell. I pushed everyone out of my life. I only allow Bri to visit me for prolonged periods of time, only she stayed with me when everything else vanished.

"One day, we will move in together. Once we both can afford a place." I think back to that sentence I promised Bri, the only thing holding me together, pushing me forward. Axel had offered me generous amounts of money, more than enough for me to live an easy, wealthy life. But I would not let him define me. I would make a name for myself, with as little assistance from anyone as possible.

You are still living in his palace though.

I slam my book into my wall, hating how everything reminded me of him, reminded me that I couldn't have him. In a way, it would be better knowing Axel was dead than having to watch him marry another woman.

"Miss Arika. I have a letter for you." I force myself out of my bed, grumbling a thank you to the servant. I open it.

Dear Arika,

You have been invited to attend the welcoming party for the Princess of Australia, Dianna of Redwood. The party begins tomorrow at noon. I hope to see you there.

Sincerely,

Axel.

Unchecked rage, like nothing I had ever felt before courses through me. I rip that invitation into a thousand pieces, until it is nothing more than a pile of paper on my desk. And before I know what has gotten into me, I am storming toward Axel's quarters.