Chapter 4: Family Reunion

The woman turned in our direction, "Brother! Mara's mercy, it good to see you! But what are you doing here? And who's this? One of your comrades," the blonde woman asks all at once, rolling her 'R's.

"Not a comrade yet, but a friend," Ralof said with a smile. "I owe her my life, in fact."

"We heard Ulfric was captured and-" she started rambling.

"Gerdur, Gerdur! Its okay, he's is fine. It'll take more than a dragon to stop Ulfric."

Gerdur looked at her brother in shock. "A dragon? Come, we need a quiet place to talk. Hod! Come here a minute!"

Gerdur's husband, Hod, came into view.
"What is it now, woman? O-oh! Ralof! I'll be down in a minute."

Gerdur lead us I a little ways from the mill to a tree stump to wait for her husband. As we waited, a young boy ran up to Ralof.
"Uncle Ralof, uncle Ralof! Can I see your ax? How many Imperials have you killed?" The small blonde fired questions.

"Calm yourself, lad! My, you've grown. Won't be long before you join the fight yourself, eh?" Ralof said hugging his nephew.

"That's right! I'll be the best soldier ever! I won't let them kill you, uncle Ralof!" The boy says excitedly.

"Alright, Frodnar, go watch the south road and tell me if you see any Imperials," Gerdur told her son.

"Aww, but mama! I wanna stay and talk with uncle Ralof," Frodnar pouted.

"Frodnar..." Gerdur said sternly.

"Listen to your mother, son. Now, Ralof, what this about dragons?" Hod asks as he walks up behind his wife.

I excused myself from the conversation as Ralof explained to his family, and I made my way to the Blacksmith's. Upon my arrival at Alvor's, Dorthe greeted me with a cute smile.
"Papa doesn't like me talking to strangers, but you seem alright. I'm his apprentice, so how can I help ya?" The blacksmith's daughter wore a leather apron and a red dress.

"I'm looking to protect myself, and deal some damage. Whatcha got?" I ask.

Dorthe looked around the forge for some merchandise.
"What kind of weapon are you looking for, " she asked sweetly.

"Uh, I think maybe I'd like a sword. And I could use a better bow." I answer.

She dug around a little more before triumphantly holding up a polished steel sword. "Will this do," Dorthe asked me.

"I think that will do just fine. How much?" I say while digging out some gold I had looted.

"That'll be fifty-five septims," She says happily, "Papa will be so proud of me for making a sale!"

I handed over the correct amount along with my old iron ax, earning some gold back in return. I bid her farewell and walk back to the mill to speak to Gerdur.

A few days later...

"Do you really have to go? You're the only fun person around here!" Frodnar whines. "A-And everybody likes you!"

It was true, I had made a lot of friends in this little logging town. But I can't stay here forever. I want to explore Skyrim like I've never been able to before!
"I'm afraid so, kiddo, but I'll come back and visit sometimes," I promised the fair-haired boy. "I'll even bring back some cool things from the other holds for ya!"

"But I don't want you to go! Why can't you stay here?" he pouts.

Gerdur steps in to help me out. "Frodnar! Why don't you go pick up that thing I ordered from Lucan, hmm?" Her son's mood lighted a little.

"Alright, mama!" He yelled, running off to the local general goods store.

"Thanks, Gerdur," I sighed in relief.

"You're welcome, dear. Is there anything you need before you go?" She asked me.

"Umm... No, I don't think so. Just the basic necessities," I told her. "Unless, can I take some of the clothes you've been letting me borrow since I don't have any of my own?"

"Of course you may! Those old things haven't fit me since Frodnar was born..." She recalled as her mind drifted.

We sat enjoying each other's company and listening to the quiet snores of Stump the dog. That is, until Frodnar came back with Dorthe, carrying a package. "Here you go, mama," the boy shouted, putting the small box on the dining room table.

"Hello, Gerdur! Hi, KayleighKayleighn!" Dorthe greeted.

"Hey, little Missy! What's up?" I asked the blacksmith's daughter/assistant.

"Well I heard you were leaving, so I came to say goodbye," she answered sadly. I hated seeing her look like this.

"Frodnar, go call your pa and uncle in please," Gerdur told her son.

"But I was just out there," Frodnar complained.

"Do as you're told, kiddo, or maybe I won't come back..." I jokingly threatened.

"Okay, okay! I'll do it! Just don't go away forever, please," he said running out of the cottage.

"Haha! Gerdur, your son is so gullible," I laughed.

Soon enough Hod, Ralof, and Frodnar all came back to the house.
"Alright, woman, what do you need," Hod questioned his wife.

"I wanted you all here when Kayleighn opens her gift." She told the men.

"Wait, what?" I ask confused.

"Mama wanted to get you a going away present, and she said I could pick it out," Frodnar answered my question proudly. "So now you won't forget about us!"

"Kayleighn, don't you dare cry," my inner conscious commanded as Ralof handed me the package. I looked down at the small box sitting in front of me and tore it open. Inside was a polished amulet of Talos.
"Do you like it?" Hod asked.

"It's beautiful. I love it! Thank you guys so much," I say giving everyone a hug. "Can someone help me put it on?" I asked.

"I'll do it," Dorthe volunteered. I bent down to her level, and she clasped it around my neck.

"Thank you, Dorthe. Well, I best be off," I say taking an unsteady breath. "Bye, I'll see you all again later." I say as I wave goodbye to Ralof's family, "I promise I'll visit soon!"

And so, with a leather sack on my back and an amulet hanging above my heart, I walk over the bridge leading away from Riverwood with Whiterun as my destination.