Chapter 8: The 7,000 Steps of Hell

We arrived in Riften after a six-hour ride. Elizabeth slept most of the time, while I read a book I had bought from Belethor.

We city without paying the fee, thanks to my knowledge of the city from playing the game so much. We go through the back door of the Black-Briar meadery during its happy hour just walk out the front door without really being noticed, thankfully, then spent the night at the Bee 'n Barb. The next morning, however, was quite a bit more eventful...

"I can't believe you killed that man!" I yell at Elizabeth as we ride on the back of a horse that wasn't exactly ours.

"Well, I wasn't about to climb the seven thousand steps on foot! You should be thankful," She responds.

Because we couldn't afford our own, Elizabeth thought it'd be a-okay to kill a traveling peddler for his horse. I huff in annoyance and cross my arms over my chest. We rode on in silence until we reached Ivarstead.

"What should we name her?" She asks me.

"Who? The horse? You can't be serious," I say, clearly still salty about the peddler.

"I think I'll name her Belle!"

Barely around the first trail bend on the way up the mountain, a lone wolf attacks us. Belle whinnied and reared up, me fall off and land in the dirt with a thud. "Fuck!" I yell in shock.
Elizabeth tried to calm Belle as best as she could while I scramble to my feet and draw my sword from its sheathe. I run at the wolf and bashed the steel blade on its skull a few times until it stopped moving. "This is why... we don't need... a fucking horse," I say out of breath.
Elizabeth rolls her eyes and gestures for me to get back on. I sigh while mounting our noble steed and wrap my arms around my friend and hold on for dear life as she sends Belle into a full gallop.

As we neared an overhanging cliff I tap Elizabeth on the shoulder, "There's a troll up ahead." I warn.

Elizabeth pulled the reins to slow Belle down to a slow trot.

She guides Belle to walk under the overhang, the horse is clearly anxious. Just as we were about to step out from under the cliff, a frost troll jumped down and landed in front of us from above. The beast roared and thumped its chest like a gorilla.

"Uh, Elizabeth," I ask, "You you know any fire spells?"

"I was hoping you did," She answers concerned.

"We can sacrifice Belle and run!" I suggest a little too enthusiastically.

"What?! No!" Elizabeth shouts in dismay and causes Belle to panic and run straight at the troll.

"No, no, no, no, no!" we yell as we brace ourselves. Belle rears up, whinnies, and kicks the troll in the face with her hooves.
As the troll staggers back, Elizabeth dismounts to draw her greatsword and charges at the beast before it can recover its health. As she deals with the beast head-on, I attempt to pelt it with arrows from Belle's back.

The troll let out a final roar as Elizabeth ran her blade through its stomach. She leaned on the hilt of her sword to catch her breath before returning to my side. "Have you changed your mind about Belle?" She asks hopefully.

"... I guess," I sigh. "But that doesn't mean you can kill people for their animals! Do it again and I'll kick your ass!"

|