Chapter 16: Meddling Kids

"There's always a sub quest, isn't there?" I ask rhetorically as we walk up the cobblestone road to Markarth's gates.

"Well, I wanted a break from the main quest anyway," Elizabeth says with high spirits, "Plus we needed to get more health potions."

"I suppose you're right" I sigh. "Anyway, when we enter the city, I need you to not panic."

"Uh, why would I?"

"You'll see," I say as we watch two guards pull the giant metal gates open for us. "Come on."

We pass through the stone archway into Markarth's busy market.
Citizens roam around us, talking, shopping, going in and out of Arnlief and Sons... Then I see him. Weylin.
I watch as he draws his iron dagger and stalks towards a woman. The woman, Margaret, shrieks in horror and surprise when she sees me stab Weylin in the back. Everyone is witnesses him choking on his own blood as it drips down his chin onto his shirt.
His body falls when I tear the dagger out of his flesh.

The guards rush over and try to calm the citizens and, to our surprise, ignore Elizabeth and I almost completely.

Elizabeth and I exchange glances before Margaret runs up to us.
"By the gods, that man nearly killed me. You saved my life. Thank you. Here, I was going to bring this to my sister, but I think you should have it," she says, offering Elizabeth a silver and emerald necklace, which she graciously accepts.

"Do you know why he was after you?" I ask Margaret.

"No," she answers. "I don't have any idea. I was just shopping for a pendant for my sister back in the Imperial City. I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize, you did nothing wrong," I say. "How about you head over to the inn? You look like you could use a drink."

"Yes, thst does sound quite nice right now," Margaret laughs. "I hope to see you around town. Farewell." she says and walks to the Silver-Blood Inn.

"C'mon, lets go, Elizabeth," I say, turning to where my friend once stood. "Elizabeth?" I call out as scan the now empty streets for her.

"Your Orcish friend left with a man who gave her a note. I am surprised you did not notice," a young Breton girl with a bob cut says.

"Who are you?" I ask.

"Oh! I'm sorry, my name is Muiri," The girl says apologetically. "I'm Bothela's assistant at the Hag's Cure on the other side of the city."

"Nice to meet you," I say, shaking her hand. "So you said you saw Elizabeth walk away with a man?"

"Yes. I don't know him personally, but I've seen him around while I do Bothela's shopping. I think his wife works at the Treasury House," Muiri says. "Just between you and me, I've heard that shes with child. Isn't that exciting?!"

"Oh shit," I say quietly. "Hey, uh , which way did you say Elizabeth and the dude went again?" I ask.

"I saw them walk up those stairs over there ," she says pointing to her right. "It looked like they were heading towards the crag in the center of town."

"Thanks, Muiri," I say, waving back at her as I run off to catch up with Elizabeth. When reach the crag, I spot the door I'm looking for. I pull open the giant Dwarven metal door and step into a dimly lit, dust-filled temple. At the bottom of the staircase I spot Elizabeth talking to another Breton. As I walk closer to them I begin to make out some of the conversation.

"You're an outsider. You're dangerous-looking. You'll do."

*Elizabeth's POV*

"Do you know why he was after you?" KK asked the lady she saved from the murderer.