Chapter 21

-Athena-

         My lungs fill with air and I am hit with the sensation of life, yet again, "Niklaus."

         "I'm afraid Niklaus is not here, but I hope to be of better assistance," I turn and meet Elijah's gaze.

         "Assistance in killing his one goal in life?" I ask referring to the doppelgänger and hybrids.

         "Actually, assisting me in retrieving his body. You missed quite a lot while you were gone. The Bennett witch successfully desiccated our brother, and if we don't get his body, Alaric will kill him," Elijah looks at me with pleading eyes. I huff.

         "Athena, please. What did we vow? What did we promise to him? No matter what happens," Elijah urges.

         My mind flashes with all of the good moment Klaus and I made. Like when he taught me to hunt animal tracks, the night of the storm, the night I nearly died. I close my eyes and they reopen, letting tears slide down, "Always and forever."

         "That's right. Always and forever. We will not take back that promise. Even throughout everything you did to him. You ran from him, betrayed him, and made him feel pain like no other. Has he asked for so much as an 'I'm sorry'? Our brother may be seen as a monster by many, but we are his family. He knows it, we know it."

          I walk out the door and put on my leather jacket, "How do we get him back?" I go full sister mode. It is true Niklaus is vial, but we've all done things to regret. Myself for instance, I've gone behind my siblings backs so many times, some they never even caught. They forgave me and accepted me for the person I am.

         "Elena Gilbert," Dopplebitch, of course.

          "Let's go get our brother."

                            -------------------
-Athena-

         "Stefan," Elena calls as she sees my brother and I enter the room.

"Elijah, Athena," He greets skeptically.

"Hello again," Elijah greets.

"Can we ask why you've stopped by?" Stefan questions.

Elijah glances at me, but everyone stays quiet, "Alright, ice breaker. We want Niklaus' body."

"Forgive my sister. We want to make a deal."

"Why would we ever make a deal with you?" Elena asks.

                 "Oh my god. How did I ever actually like you?" I ask annoyed, "We'd like Niklaus' body, and in return, we will help in restraining Alaric."

                   "Elena, I give you my word to not wake Niklaus in your lifetime. Not even in your children's lifetimes," Elijah assures.

"We just need to take the stake from him. Then we will be on our way," I add.

"What, then you'll just run?" Stefan asks.

"We've done it before. Athena may not have been with us, but she's definitely run from someone before," He gives me a pointed look, "Niklaus and Rebekah have spent the better half of a thousand years running from our father."

"Why should we trust you? You've screwed her over too many times to count," Matt says.

"For that I am deeply ashamed. Just know this, the second we walked through that door I could have let Athena kill you. Elena I leave the decision to you on whether to trust us or not," Elijah looks at her.

"Not! Hello? Did that concussion give you brain damage?! Their lunatic siblings will kill you the first chance they get!" Damon hollers.

"Rebekah and Kol will honor the terms to the agreement. Any siblings to step out of line on our deal will be personally handled by myself," Elijah once again gives me a pointed look.

                   "No, no, no! Did I mention no?!" Damons voice yells through the speaker. He's currently still moving our brother god knows where.

"It's Elena's decision," Stefan says.

She sighs deeply, "We have a deal."