-| 1 / trouble in paradise |-

Caroline Cornel, heir to the throne of the South Kingdom, marched down the corridor to her brother's room furiously.

She slammed the door open and glared at Tristan, who was gleefully snoring on his bed, even though it was a few hours past noon.

God, that kid is irresponsible... she thought.

She stood at the edge of his bed and cleared her throar, staring down at him with her arms crossed. Tristan let out a loud snore.

Caroline let out an exasperated sigh and frowned. She rarely showed any sign of emotion and for good reason. She was going to be queen soon and was not allowed to show any sign of weakness. She needed to be intimidating.

If her facade ever wavered... That would be bad for the kingdom. She couldn't afford anything bad happening.

She had trained her entire life for this.

“Tristan!”, she hissed. When he didn't respond, she poked his shoulder. “Tristan, get up goddammit! You have to plan tomorrow's dinner!”, she told him again.

He shot up. “Wha-- Caroline? What are you doing in my room this early? Don't you knock? I have to rest, I have a dinner to plan!”, Tristan complained. Caroline closed her eyes to keep herself from snapping.

“Tristan, it's past noon. If you wanted to rest, you wouldn't have gone out to that fair last night and I wouldn't have had to cover for you at dad.”, she smirked.

“Five more minutes...” , her brother muttered and fell on his pillow with his face.

“You're such a big baby!”, she snorted. Tristan ignored her. “I'll tell dad you went out last night.”, she threatened him casually.

“Yeah, but then the deal will be off and you'll have to do the planning on your own.”, he muttered.

“Not if I tell one of the servants to do it.”, she smirked. "That way, I'll have kept my end of the bargain. I won't be the one to personally tip you off to dad.”, she continued. Tristan groaned.

“Fine, dammit! It's not like I'm gonna be king or something! I'm allowed to have fun. And even if you become queen, you're allowed to have some fun too. Stop being so bossy.”, he rolled his eyes.

“Sweetheart, if I'm going to be queen, I need to be exactly that; bossy.”, she smirked again and walked out of the room, leaving her brother to get dressed for the day.

“You got that from dad...”, Tristan yelled at her drowsily as she left.

I wouldn't take that as a compliment... she thought again.

She then proceeded to go to the throne room. She stood at the corner of the corridor and stared around it, trying to calm her nerves and make her stress vanish.

Remember what dad always says... she closed her eyes tightly. Emotion is weakness.

She took a deep breath, straightened her long, gray dress and walked in the room.

“Caroline.” , Alastor Cornel frowned. She bowed before her father, then looked him in the eye.

“We need to talk.” , she tried to not grit her teeth.

“If this is about your sister--”, he started.

“Sorry to interrupt you, father, but I don't think it's wise to bring her here. Your brother--”, she was interrupted by her dad, the same way he was before.

“Do not mention him.”, Alastor growled. She flinched lightly.

“I can't help it! Keeping her away is the only way to keep her safe from him! He doesn't know her whereabouts, but he will know if you bring her here!”, Caroline protested, to her father's dismay.