-| 18 / a piece of friendly advice |-

Scott sat up.

“Wh- how did we get here?”, he furrowed his eyebrows and rubbed his forehead.

“You don't remember? Wow...”, Caroline scoffed.

“Well, I don't blame you. You took quite a beating.”, Crystal squeezed his shoulder.

“How much are we talking about?”, he gave her a panicked glance.

“Your dad had a knife.”, she sighed. “Alastor came quite a long time later. He was furious at Carter.”, she bit her lip.

“Did he..?”, Scott's eyes widened.

She shook her head. “No. Your dad's okay.

Scott scowled. “Alastor can't even get a job done...”, he sighed. “What happened next?”

“Caroline managed to pick the lock with a bobby pin. We carried you up here. We almost got spotted five times. Violet, here, healed you.”, Crystal explained, motioning with her head towards Violet, who gave Scott a small and awkward wave. “Which reminds me; you've already met Caroline, so that's my brother Tristan and that's Violet. Guys, that's Scott.”

“What? No friend this time?”, Scott rolled his eyes.

“When I introduced you as my friend before, you were sarcastic about it! Make your mind up!”, she laughed.

“Nah. I like getting on your nerves.”, he smirked. “Anyway, what's next? We can't stay here. Alastor will find us.”

“We should sneak out. It shouldn't be that hard. Tristan does it all the time.”, Crystal shrugged.

“Yeah, but when dad realises you're out, he'll get the palace under lockdown. It will be almost impossible to get out of here unless you have someone on the outside to get you as soon as you leave.”, Tristan warned them.

“Phoebe.”, Scott muttered.

“Are you sure you want to drag your sister into this? We could try something else.”, Crystal frowned.

“It's not like we have a choice here. Besides, she can take care of herself.”, Scott shrugged.

There was a really loud bang on the door. Everyone froze.

“Hide!” , Caroline hissed. “Who is it?”, she asked innocently as Scott rolled under the bed and Crystal hid in the closet with Violet.

“Princess Caroline, I was sent by your father to look for a pair of fugitives in your room. Please open up”, a guard said.

She opened the door.

“Of course! Did someone escape from the dungeons?”, she asked, pretending to be worried.

“I'm afraid so.”, he said, looking around. Tristan was lying on his sister's bed with his feet up against the wall and his head hanging down. “Hello, Prince Tristan.”

“Hey.”, Tristan replied in a bored manner.

“Who are the fugitives, if I may?”, Caroline asked.

“I'm afraid I can't say.”, the guard said.

“Then how am I supposed to know when I see them?”, she innocently batted her eyelashes at him.

The guard bit his lip. “You didn't hear it from me, but it's your sister and a friend of hers. They were apprehended a couple of days ago.”, he said in a low voice.

“Crystal is back?!”, Caroline acted surprised. Tristan widened his eyes to fake being shocked.

The guard nodded. “Now, if you don't mind, I have to look around.”, he added. Caroline let him in.