-| 32 / stargazing |-

Scott and Crystal had set camp in a vast valley, under a big tree and away from most people but still about half an hour away from the nearest village.

"How are we on money?", Scott asked as he laid some sort of rug on the grass.

"Pretty good, surprisingly. We haven't even spent half the money Caroline gave us.", Crystal replied, dropping the firewood a few feet further.

"We need to hurry up with the preparations here; it's getting dark.", Scott sighed.

"I know...", she ran a hand through her hair.

"What's left to do?"

"Light the fire and brush Ash's mane."

"Alright, I'll take care of it.", he walked up to her.

"What? Why? I've got this.", she crossed her arms.

"No offence, but you look like a mess. You need to rest."

"Scott, I'm fine.", Crystal insisted and went ahead to light he fire.

"Fine, if you're so sure."

"It's just a fire and grooming a horse.", she shool her head, chuckling. She got up, looking proudly at the fire she'd lit.

"Still! I wanted to help."

"Okay, you can feed Ash if you really want to.", she laughed.

"Seriously? You do know that I find your horse insufferable.", Scott looked at her with a deadpan expression. He seemed confused.

"Oh, come on! What did Ash ever do to you?", she laughed harder.

"He's evil! I can see it in his eyes.", Scott glared at the horse, making it whiny. "Shut up."

"Scott!", Crystal's eyes widened. She doubled over from all the laughter. Scott looked at her, seemingly offended. The horse seemed to be enjoying this entire conversation. "Come on.", she motioned at him towards Ash with her head. She first got the brush from her stuff, then followed Scott.

She showed him how to groom Ash properly then handed him the brush.

"Give it a try."

"Princess...", he whined. She raised an eyebrow.

"Come on... For me?", she pouted. Scott turned red.

Dammit, she's cute..., he thought.

"Fine...", he grumbled. Ash turned and looked at him curiously. "Don't look at me like that!", he hissed at the horse. Crystal burst out laughing again.

After a long session of brushing Ash's mane, Crystal and Scott sat down at the rug the latter had laid down earlier.

It was a pretty big one; four people could sleep on it comfortably and there would still be space for a cat or small dog.

"Okay, I told you why I'm not a fan of your horse. Now it's your turn to tell me why you love him so much. I mean, of course you love him, he's your horse, but there seems to be more to the story.", Scott asked her.

Crystal tucked her hair behind her ear and turned to look at him. "Ash was Benny's goodbye gift when I left for the palace.", she explained. "Like, Ash was born when I was very little and we grew up together, but he and Benny's bow are all I have left from my old life.", she shrugged.

"Oh... I- I didn't know he was so important to you...", he frowned.

"How would you know? I hadn't told you.", Crystal joked.

"Good point.", Scott chuckled.

They fell silent and turned to look at the sky as the sun set. Scott laid his back against the tree.