-| 10 / a special mission |-

Cheryl and Violet had gotten off the grid. No matter how hard Lux looked for them, they were nowhere to be found.

They were discussing their next move in the middle of the bustling capital; Lux had connections everywhere in the woods, so hiding in a city was their best chance.

“Alright... I want you to go talk to Tristan. Don't tell him the truth. This case has Lux written all over it and I don't want her to realise what's going on. Don't force him and be subtle.”, Cheryl explained.

“Let me get this straight; you want me to infiltrate Alastor's palace, one of the most well guarded places in both kingdoms, pretend to be a servant and get close to your s--”, Violet repeated.

“Yeah, we've already said this a hundred times! Can you do it?”, Cheryl asked.

Violet shrugged. “I thought you had a challenge for me... I have to say I'm a little disappointed.”

“It isn't as easy as it sounds. Alastor Cornel is sneaky, and he may not have done a good job raising Caroline and Tristan, but he's certainly taught them a thing or two about not trusting people. Believe me, I grew up with him.”, Cheryl sighed.

“Now, that's better. I didn't leave that boring witch-village to go on equally boring quests. I want some action!”, her apprentice beamed.

“Don't let all that get in your head. Be careful.”

“I will, I promise. When should I go?”

“As soon as possible. I've got some more checking up to go before I take off to do my part, but you are free to go earlier.”, the red-headed witch shrugged.

“Alright! I'll go get my stuff.”, Violet smiled and snapped her fingers, dissolving into pink dust.

Cheryl shook her head. Violet was smart and powerful, but she rushed things a lot. She got excited easily, and when that happened it was hard to keep her from trouble.

Despite looking brave and all that, though, Violet was actually pretty afraid of almost everything (to some extend).

Heights? No thanks, I prefer having my feet on the ground. Tight spaces? I'd rather be able breathe, thank you very much. Darkness? Don't even go there.

Lux? Keep her away from me, or I'll make sure she is strung up somewhere high. In a really small cage. With no light. That's a promise.

Her biggest fear, though, was the thought of her mother never waking up again. She did have Cheryl, but that's what she thought about Cecilia too, and look where that got her. Cecilia had been like a mother to her, much like Cheryl, and she had betrayed them.

Cheryl had gotten a pretty good beating and a really bad haircut. Well, her hair was still awesome but she was considered a disgrace in their community, so... not cool.

Violet appeared in her room and packed the important stuff. She snapped her fingers again, trying on her outfits without wasting any time. After she decided she was good to go, she snapped her fingers again and walked to the palace, which wasn't that far from their inn. She didn't want to suspiciously appear out of nowhere in front of the gates.

She introduced herself as Violetta Blue (not a good undercover name, if you ask me) and requested to be added to the cleaning staff. When the guard disregarded her, she took care of it the easy way; magic.

This was another flaw of hers; using magic too much. She was too dependent on it. Cheryl kept trying to persuade her to not use it as much as she did, but she just wouldn't listen.

All Cheryl could do when Violet refused to take her advise, was hope that this extreme dependence on magic wouldn't be her downfall.

She roamed the corridors for hours in order to find Tristan's room, but she just couldn't navigate the castle. It was enormous and confusing as a labyrinth.