-| 3 / family ties |-

Phoebe Harrow kicked a rock in frustration. Her stupid brother had disappeared, and she had to track him. Again.

Ever since their father kicked him out, she had had to take care of the family herself, which was pretty hard for a, then, 12-year-old. Now she was 15 and her brother was 17, but he hadn't changed the least.

Not deep inside at least...

There had been some pretty evident changes ever since he left home. No, ever since he got kicked out, she corrected herself. He didn't smile as much anymore. The circles under his eyes were darker. He was paler.

And worst of all? He wasn't there.

Don't get me wrong, Phoebe did pretty good on her own. She had taught herself not to need him, but ever since she ran away... She needed his help more than ever. She and her mother had nowhere to stay and kept moving around.

Not in fear that her father was after them, the guy could barely get out of the house to grab yet another drink.

No. They were on the run in fear that all the guys Phoebe pissed off during her short stays at villages and small towns would follow them and get themselves killed.

She hadn't only taught herself to be independent, she had also taught herself how to fight. Why wait for a hero, when you can save yourself? Hard work paid off. No guy ever said anything to offend her.

No guy who knew her, anyway. The others? Well, she gave them a piece of her mind or, more accurately, her fists.

Her mom wasn't in favour of that, but it kept them safe and that was all that mattered at the time. Her brother had promised them that he had accepted a job that would get them enough money to build a house in the woods, away from danger. They would have a farm and live by a lake, like they had always wanted.

Their father could burn in hell for all they cared. That abusive, alcoholic piece of horse poop, deserved the worst and they might not have deserved the best, but they surely deserved better than him.

Her mom, Diana Harrow, caught up to her.

“Phoebe...”, she smiled weakly.

“Hey, mom... I left you behind again, didn't I?”, she frowned.

“Don't worry about it. Just focus on finding your brother. I've told him a million times to stay out of trouble and keep us posted on his whereabouts, but he's stubborn as ever. Always worrying that he'll get tracked by the wrong people... I think that height have picked up more fights than you.”, Diana laughed. That was Diana... No matter what was going on, she always had a smile on her face.

“Impossible...”, Phoebe scoffed, looking offended. Her mom rolled her eyes.

“You and your petty feuds... You truly are siblings.”, she smiled again. Then she started having a coughing fit.

“Mother!”, Phoebe rushed by her side and helped sit down. Worry and panic were evident all over her face. “Maybe we should go back to the village and stay there for another night...”

Diana waved her hand. “No. I'm fine. Everything will get better once we find your brother.”, she nodded reassuringly. Phoebe wanted to protest, but she knew her mother wouldn't change her mind. Her brother had gotten her stubbornness from her.

“Alright... Let's find that clown.”, she grumbled.

°~*~°

Cheryl Floreline hadn't left the witch village in sixteen years and couldn't wait to pack her bags and be on her way.