Chapter 2

"Nathaniel," I returned, staring into his forest eyes that showed no emotion. The scent of his heavy cologne filled my nostrils every time I took a breath. I've always imagined this happening. Us meeting again. Played out every possible scenario in my head, all ending in us being happy.

Yet, he was here. Right in-front of me. An arms length away and all i wanted to do was yell at him and make him hurt the way I did. Bottled up anger and resentment I didn't know I had for him came rushing in the second i heard him speak.

My mind was still pondering over how rose even knew about him, let alone where to find him. Hell, I didn't even know that information.

He was eyeing me carefully for any form of emotion. I showed none and continued to stare at him blankly. But there was something about the way his eyes glistened as they traveled around my body that made me feel like I was safe. I hated it.

"Why didn't you tell me you were having my baby?" He finally spoke up, taking a step closer to me, causing my heart beat to palpitate. I gulped and took a step back in response. His eyes briefly looked down at my throat before coming back up to meet my eyes. He caught sight of it. Damn it.

"Y-you wouldn't have believed me," I responded, my voice cracking. Damn it. I hated this sudden effect he had over me. Luckily there was no one in the station present to witness this.

He frowned and his eyes flashed with guilt for a moment but was quickly replaced by his normal blank stare. He was never one to express his emotions let alone let the world know how he was feeling by his expressions.

There was a moment of silence. None of us said a word, we just stared at each other for what felt like eternity. "Mommy I'm hungry," whined Rose breaking the tension between us.

"Let's go get pizza," I said grabbing her hand and avoiding contact with him, eager to leave.

"Can he come?" She asked looking up at me with her adorable emerald eyes while her tiny fingers were pointed in the direction of Nathaniel. Great. I did not want to be anywhere near him anymore. My eyes widened, as my mind scrambled around to find an excuse.

"I'd be happy to Ro. If it's okay with your mom of course" Nathaniel happily chimed in glancing over at rose then towards me. A hint of arrogance in his voice, he knew I couldn't say no.

Ro? He has a nickname for her already? Great. If I say no now i'll look like the bad guy. Great, just great. His voice held a fatherly tone that was unknown to me before. He never wanted kids which is why his reaction to rose so far is surprising.

What if he decides he wants her to himself? No he would never take her from me. But what if? I mean if it leads to a fight for custody he would definitely win. How could he not? He's famous, wealthy and most likely has influential friends is every department possible. Then there's me, I have money but no where near what he has, and i'm definitely not known. He could rip her away from me at any second. Maybe I'm just overreacting and he just wants to spend time with her. I hope so.

I hesitated before speaking which he caught sight of again and frowned, I ignored it.  I grabbed roses hand walked out of the station and towards my car when he called out my name and motioned over to his ride. A all black tinted short limo with its own driver. I lightly squeezed roses hand before making our way over and into the car.

***
At the pizza place...

"Hello I'm Ethan, and I'll be your server for today. We do have a special tonight, the crazy pizza which consist of any 4 topping of your choosing-" His eyes diverted from Nathaniel to rose until finally landing on me,"-um f-for only $15." He began tapping his pencil against his notepad while keeping his glaze on me. "I'll give you guys a moment," he finished not breaking his stare and flashing a smile towards me before leaving.

The boy looked to be in his late teens, or early 20s. I look across from me to see Nathaniel glaring daggers into Ethan's back. I cleared my throat grabbing his attention.

"What kind of pizza do you want pea?"

"Pineapple Pizza!" Rose cheered, she loved pineapple pizza. I chuckled and glanced over at Nathaniel who had a big smile plastered across his face. He has such a beautiful smile, with his straight pearly whites. I missed his smile. Stop it. I brought my attention back to rose when Nathaniel spoke up,"-Pineapple pizza is my favorite," he beamed, smiling at rose. Rose returned the smile, and clapped before getting out her seat to go play in the arcade.

Seconds later Ethan's figure appeared in-front of us and the smile was immediately wiped off Nate's face. He glared at Ethan, "What can i get you guys today," Ethan announced, once again his brown eyes never leaving sight of me.

"We would like a large pineapple pizza, and,-". Ignoring every single word Nathaniel said, Ethan continued to stare at me, and then he did the most unpredictable thing. He winked at me, and Nathaniel saw. I shifted uncomfortably in my seat. I felt disgusted.

"Can you stop eye-fucking my wife and do your damn job," Barked Nathaniel rather loudly at Ethan making him squirm and apologize. Everyone near was looking in our direction to which Nathaniel responded by shooting them glares. That solved that problem pretty fast.

He continued saying his order from where he left off as if nothing had just happened while Ethan quickly wrote down on his notepad everything that was being said. Once he was done he apologized again and left, this time not daring to look at me.

"Nathaniel," I warned. I always hated him for being such a jerk to people that looked at me for a second too long. Even if it made me uncomfortable, he didn't have to be so rude. He looked at me and shrugged.

"Ex-wife. We aren't together." I added. He sighed and looked at me.

"Look, Lillian, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for not believing you or hearing you out. I know I messed up and I've regretted that moment every day since. I've thought about you every day. I missed you. Missed us. I want us to be a family again lils. I want to fix this between us no matter what. No matter how long it takes. I'm willing to put in the work. I'm not the same person I was. I've changed Lilian. You, Rose and me as a family. Don't you want that? What do you say? Can you give me a second chance and we do it right this time?" He finished, looking at me with a pleading look.

I stared at him blankly, I didn't know what to say.  My mind was running in circles and my emotions were all over the place. If i said yes, then all those years of building myself back up after he destroyed me would have been for nothing. But If I said no, id be taking away the opportunity to be a family again. taking away from rose.

"I don't know Nate."

"Please," he said getting up and moving next to me. My heart skipped a beat once he sat down. "Say yes Lilly," he whispered, moving a strand of hair that made its way in front of my eyes, and gently placed it behind my ear.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breathe, memories of that night came flooding in and that anger and resentment I felt for him earlier filled every bone in my body.

I was fuming.

The audacity to come back and expect me to just take him back after everything? No way.

I opened my eyes and stared at him, all these emotions in the back of my mind. I glared at him, and smacked his hand away, he was clearly taken aback by my motion by his confused expression. "No." Was all i said before standing up from my seat and leaving a confused Nathaniel behind. I made my way to rose and picked up the pizza on our way out and called for a taxi.
***

So what did you think of this chapter?

Guys this story has 300 reads now, thanks so much!