Chapter 12

"Quarter for your thoughts?" Jarred voice said bringing me back to reality. He slid a quarter across the table to me. I smiled and picked up the quarter. Quarter for your thoughts. It's supposed to be penny for your thoughts but when he first said it to me he only had a quarter on him.

I remember the day perfectly, I was sitting in that old chair we used to have on the porch - damn thing was so old every little movement you made would cause it to let out a loud and annoying squeak - I was watching the rain as it hit the grass and created puddles on the ground. I had just found out my grams died earlier that day and the sound of rain was the only thing that brought me peace. We were close and her death had a toll on me, I was 10 at the time, and jarred was 12. I hadn't uttered a word since I found out, at the time jarred and I weren't close but he was the only one that checked up on me that day. He had brought a chair and some blankets along with some hot chocolate and sat with me outside. We sat in silence for a while unit he reached into his pockets and pulled out a quarter and placed it on the chair's arm. "Quarter for your thoughts?". We became close after that day and since then whenever one of us was sad we would get a quarter and place it near one another.

"He keeps calling," I said and spun the quarter on the table. I let it spin for a while before stopping it with the palm of my hand and doing it all over again.

"What does he want?"

"To see rose." I sighed and spun the quarter once again. I watched as it spun in circles at a fast pace until it gradually became slower and slower before coming to a complete stop. Truth is the thought of them being alone together scared me but I know rose wants to see him. She's asked about him every day since the incident. I don't think she fully understood what happened so that's good but that didn't mean I forgave him for what he did.

"Are you going to?" he asked.

"I don't know," I admitted. I don't trust him. If he showed up here knowing she would be here and would possibly see him what's stopping him from being drunk while he's with her? what if something happens to rose because he decided to drink? I wouldn't be able to forgive myself. "Rose wants to see him but I don't trust him."

I took a deep breath and groaned. "I don't want her to hate me." I looked over his shoulder to where the living room was. Rose was laying down on the couch hugging Mrs. Pig tightly while watching Princess and the frog once more. I smiled at the sight of her, she was so focused on the movie. I haven't a clue how she hasn't gotten tired of it, she watches it every day.

"Rose," I called. She turned her head over to my direction before getting up from the couch and walking over to me, mrs.pig in hand. "Yes, mommy?" Her soft little voice spoke. I got out of my seat and kneeled so we were the same height.

"Go get dressed for school pea, breakfast will be ready when you're done. Do you want pancakes with chocolate chips or waffles with blueberries" Her eyes lit up at the mention of blueberries. She loved blueberries. "Waffles with blueberries." She beamed. "And whip cream?" She added seconds later, giving me those puppy dog eyes of hers. I chuckled, "And whip cream. Now go get dressed." I softly cupped her face and kissed her forehead before she left to go change.

I got up from the ground and looked at jarred. "Pancakes or waffles?" I asked before heading over to the fridge to grab the eggos, blueberries, and whip cream. "Waffles is fine." He responded. I nodded my head and closed the fridge. I headed over to the counter and placed the items on the surface. I grabbed the toaster that was also on the counter and opened the eggos before placing two into the toaster. It took about a minute or so for them to heat up.