Chapter 4: The Contract

I was up with the crack of dawn, thanks to the time difference in addition to the alarm I had set on my phone, just in case

I was up with the crack of dawn, thanks to the time difference in addition to the alarm I had set on my phone, just in case. The battery had been dead when I arrived so I wasn't able to let my parents know that I had arrived safely, but that was quickly remedied as soon as I woke up.

I wanted to talk to Theodore straight away. I had hoped in vain that my luggage might have arrived at some point in the night, but it was nowhere to be seen and the doors to the main part of the house were still locked. I was beyond frustrated; I had a copy of my contract for this job in my carry on bag and I had wanted to take another look at it before I talked with Theodore this morning.

Assuming he would come to talk to me soon, I still decided to make myself at home while I waited. I rummaged through the kitchen and found that it was fully stocked with every kind of food and drink imaginable. I located a can of coffee and started a strong pot brewing.

"G'morning, Nanny Jules." I heard Harry's deep, rumbly voice behind me.

"Good morning, Harry," I said, turning to smile at him. He looked adorable with his mussed up curly hair and groggy eyes. I did notice, however, that they were less bloodshot this morning. "Did you sleep okay?"

"Mhm," he answered with a happy nod.

"Would you like some breakfast?" I asked, expecting him to want some kind of sugary cereal.

"Yes please, Nanny Jules. Make me some eggs? Please. Eggs, please." 

"Scrambled eggs? Fried? Hard-boiled?" I asked.

"Those!" He answered excitedly. "Hard-boiled! Nanny Kim didn't ever make them because she said they're...they're...too much work."

I turned towards the fridge and rolled my eyes. Honestly, how hard was it to boil eggs? I pulled out a full carton of eggs and asked, "Harry, would you like me to show you how to make hard-boiled eggs? They're pretty easy."

"Nanny Kim won't let me use the stove," he pouted.

I leaned on my arms over the table, looking at him where he sat. "Well Nanny Kim isn't here and I think you're plenty old enough to learn how to cook."

"Really?" He asked and suddenly his face lit up in the most beautiful smile I had ever seen. His green eyes sparkled and deep dimples embedded themselves into his face. I didn't think I'd ever seen someone whose face so clearly defined happiness.

"All right, let's get started." I pulled out a saucepan and placed six eggs inside. I instructed Harry to fill it with just enough water to cover the eggs and he complied with a grin still fixed on his face. I motioned for him to put the pan on the stove top.

"Now there's one thing you do have to remember," I instructed him. "When you're going to cook, always ask permission from your nanny or another adult before you do it. You will probably need help at first."