Chapter 47: The Escape Plan

I stopped and gasped, turning to Harry with a wild look in my eyes

I stopped and gasped, turning to Harry with a wild look in my eyes. "That's it!" I yelled, but then I lowered my voice to not draw attention to what I was going to say. "I know how we can get out!"

"How?" He asked, obviously not following my line of thought.

I closed in on him so I could whisper close to his ear, even though I was pretty sure no one could hear us. "We're going to start a fire."

"Are you crazy?" He asked me, a child-like fear overcoming his face.

"No, Harry, listen to me for a minute. If we start a fire that's big enough so they can't put it out themselves, they'll have to call the fire department. If it's the same here as in the US, when they call 911, the dispatchers automatically send firetrucks, ambulances, and police. It's standard protocol."

He shook his head, looking agitated. "It's dangerous."

"I know it is, but I think it's our only chance," I said, trying to comfort him. "We'll just make sure we can get out through a window before we start it."

"Why not the back door?" He wondered.

"Theodore put a guard there, too."

"What?!" He cried in desperation, tear droplets gathering in the corner of his panicked eyes.

"It's not hopeless," I assured him. "If we get through a window on the north side of the house," I pointed to the kitchen window, "we can go straight up the side to the main house and the fence without having to get past the guard." I went over and opened the window. "See? And when the emergency crews arrive, we just have to yell for help."

"Oh," he said, finally considering the possibility of my plan. "But Theodore and the guards will be looking for us, won't they?"

"Maybe," I said. "Or maybe..." I swallowed my anxiety. "Maybe they'll think we're still inside...and just let us burn. That would be an easy solution to Theodore's problem."

His face became dark with the implication of my words. Theodore was intent on killing us and we both knew it. Period. We had to get out, no matter what it took. He shook his head again and finally breathed, "Okay."

"Let's eat first and then we'll check out our escape routes. Then we can stock the kitchen with as many flammable items as possible. We should set the fire at night, when everyone is sleeping so it will hopefully take them longer to respond."

He nodded and we made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. We added a few chunks of cheese to our lunch, after we cut off the moldy parts. "It's nice to just eat together again, isn't it?" I asked him, trying to ease his anxiety. And mine.

"It's the best," he grinned. "I have enjoyed every single meal I've eaten with you."

"Aww, you're always so sweet," I said. As we finished, we didn't bother cleaning up. I looked at him with a chuckle. "It's gonna burn anyway."