Chapter 68: The Trial, Part 1

NOTE: The trial takes up 8 chapters! But I guarantee you're going to want to read it! <3

Nathan called us at 8 AM the day we were supposed to meet him in the afternoon. He barked, "I'm on my way. There's some urgent news."

Anxiety plagued us for the next ten minutes, wondering what kind of news he might have. We met him at the door of  the suite and he practically barged in, not even greeting us before he blurted, "AnnaMae Watson was murdered."

I gasped in horror; Annamae was the one who used to bring Harry's medications. She was the one who came forward the night of the fire and admitted that she knew about Harry and about me. She saved us. "That fucking bastard," I said, tears now streaming down my face. Harry's face was pale and his eyes were glassy.

Nathan ushered us into the living area and motioned for us to sit down. "We don't have the proof to pin it on Theodore yet, but believe me, it's coming. But this means the trial will be postponed."

"For how long?" I cried in desperation, starting to hyperventilate.

"A month, at least," Nathan answered. "It's clear to everyone involved that it had to have been Theodore, in some way. Either he gave a direct order to have her killed or one of his loyal associates took matters into their own hands. But this does give the police cause to re-open the case of Mary Lemke's disappearance. Apparently, an anonymous tip came in about the possible location of her body. They think that tip came from AnnaMae, but now we'll never really know."

"Shit," Harry mumbled and I knew it was a lot for him to handle. He had loved Mary like his own mother. Anne rubbed his back while Clive put his arm around me and hugged me.

"So, folks, I'm very sorry about having to postpone, but as the evidence stacks up against him, it's looking more and more likely that Theodore Blake is going to prison for life without the possibility of parole."

While this was ultimately good news, the process was gut-wrenching, finding out about AnnaMae's death and having to wait even longer for the trial to start. We once again moved from the hotel we'd been staying in to a more secure location because it was unknown just how far Theodore's reach extended. Again we were forced into hiding, not allowed to leave the new hotel unless under police escort and prohibited from using social media or any other form of outside communication that could give away our location.

I panicked on a daily basis, wondering if we would ever be able to stop hiding from Theodore and his cohorts. Even if he went to prison for life, how would we know if he hadn't manipulated a whole army of goons to track us down and kill us? The only things that kept me grounded were Harry's constant encouragement and the hope that once the trial was over, Theodore wouldn't have any money left to pay off his loyal subjects.

I convinced my parents to stay in Ohio until the trial even though they wanted to come and offer moral support. As far as I was concerned, every single one of us was in danger, and it gave me comfort to have them 2500 miles away.