Chapter 17: The Trip, Part 3

The next morning, we got an early start, Theodore seemingly eager to show us around

The next morning, we got an early start, Theodore seemingly eager to show us around. Harry dressed in his favorite jeans and a t-shirt with a blue and white hoodie over it.

We went to a diner-type restaurant for breakfast and when Theodore and I both ordered coffee, Harry asked, "C...can I try some, too?"

At the same time, I said, "Yes," and Theodore said, "No."

I eyed Theodore and calmly said, "He is almost an adult. I don't think there's any harm in it." He sighed in defeat and nodded to the waitress to bring Harry a cup. Well, that was easier than I thought it would be.

When it came, Harry  looked at the waitress's nametag and said, "Hello, Jill, my..my name is Harry. Thank you for the coffee." She smiled wide and said, "You're welcome, cutie." I was pretty sure the blush on his cheeks could have been seen from outer space.

I told him, "Coffee is very strong and kind of bitter. You might not like it. You should try some cream and sugar in it." He asked how much of each and I gave him my suggestions. Then he took a small sip and grinned, "I like it."

Again, I saw that funny little smile from Theodore, the one I had seen on the plane yesterday. Was it possible he was warming up to Harry after all these years? Or was he seeing how much Harry had grown and changed, and - hopefully, possibly - was he thinking that maybe Harry's previous diagnoses had been wrong? I knew I was reading a lot into a little smile, but I couldn't help but think Theodore had to see how well Harry was functioning.

After breakfast, Harry got his wish and we went to the zoo. The coffee may have contributed to his inability to keep still, but I think a lot of it was the pure thrill of being somewhere new and exciting. Theodore paid and ushered us through the turnstiles, guiding first Harry and then me to the main entrance, with his hand lightly on the small of my back. I glanced up at him and he just gave me an innocent smile. I couldn't figure this man out. Why was he suddenly being so tolerable? But then again, I couldn't complain.

The first area was dedicated to prehistoric animals. "These animals are all extinct," I explained to Harry. "That's why there are statues instead of real animals. Do you know what extinct means?"

He nodded. "Means they're all dead."

"Right!" I cheered. "The last one of each of their kind died millions of years ago. But there are some animals today that are almost extinct, so scientists are trying to figure out a way to keep them from dying out like the dinosaurs."

"Wh...which ones?" He asked, a nervous tick twitching his head to the side.

"Some kinds of gorillas, a few different turtles. I'm not sure about all of them. I'd have to look them up on the web," I said.

"I like turtles," Harry said, and I noticed that every time he spoke, he looked towards Theodore in expectation. Was he waiting for Theodore to tell him he was stupid? Or was he just wanting his father to pay him some attention. Then he said something that made me laugh. "I wish mosquitoes would be...wo...would go extinct."