Chapter 55: The Second Reunion

"Harry, your mother is still alive

"Harry, your mother is still alive."

While we all sucked in a collective gasp, Harry breathed out an incredulous sob. "She is?"

Clive stood up and went to the door of the suite and opened it. He peeked out in the hallway and was followed back in by the unmistakable woman who gave birth to Harry. He broke down into shuddering sobs as he rushed to her and she welcomed him into her arms as only a mother could. 

The whole room was filled with weeping and crying, tears of loss, grief, and relief, for the longest time. Finally, Anne stepped back enough to hold Harry's face in her hands. "Oh my dear sweet boy," she said. "You're so handsome. You've grown to be such a fine young man."

"Thank you," he said in a sniffly whisper. They hugged again and again and finally, Harry made the rounds and introduced his mother to all of us, my parents first and then me. He kept laughing through endless rounds of happy tears.

Anne hugged me tightly and said, "I can't possibly thank you enough for caring for Harry and getting him away from that wretched man."

"Of course," I said. "He has suffered a great injustice. You both have." I looked into her beautiful face and somehow felt the weight of all her grief over the years. Having known Harry just a few short months, I wept for the years of his life that she had missed.

She kissed my forehead and hushed me. "You sweet girl."

We made our way to sit down, everyone still in a state of stunned disbelief; even Clive had been weeping with us.

"So how did this happen?" I asked, glancing back and forth between Clive and Anne. "I don't understand how you were separated from your son."

Anne began, her arm firmly holding Harry next to her, stroking his hair and kissing his head. "All three of us were in that car wreck," she began. "William, as you know, passed away. I ended up in a coma for two months. When I woke up, Theodore told me that both William and Harry had died." The emotions welled up in her throat. "I had lost everything I loved. So I went back to England."

"But didn't any of your family come when they heard of the accident?" I wondered.

"Well, you see I was estranged from my family at the time. My parents and I weren't on good terms and I left home to come to the US. I hadn't been in touch with them in a few years. They never knew I had fallen in love with William and gave birth to Harry until I lost them, or thought I did, at least. It was then I realized how much I needed my family, so I went back home and made amends. Been living there ever since," she said and sniffled a little. "I never had a reason to come back."

"That's just heartbreaking," my mother said, wiping her eyes with a tissue. "How could Theodore do such an evil thing?"

Anne shook her head. "I had never liked him; I only tolerated him because I loved William so much. Theodore is a sick man, all he loves is himself and his fortune. And I'm here to help put him away for the rest of his life." A look of fury passed over her face but it didn't stay long. Her presence was one of joy at being reunited with Harry again. She hugged him again and kissed the side of his head repeatedly and he grinned like a little boy. In this moment, it was completely appropriate for him to become like a child again in his mother's arms.