Chapter 50: The Report

On the way to the hospital, an EMT named Olivia took our vitals and asked us basic questions about the nature of our injuries. Otherwise, it was just a quiet ride huddled close to my love, still trying to come to grips with the fact that we were finally free. I think we were both in a bit of shock and disbelief.

When we arrived at the hospital, I reiterated my request for them to keep us in a room together and Officer Michaels waited outside the room. Our injuries weren't life-threatening but the ER staff was sensitive in terms of our recent trauma so we were able to remain undisturbed in a quiet, private room together as opposed to having to wait in the waiting room. That alone made me feel safe and cared for, knowing that people were finally aware of and acknowledging our ordeal.

The nurse introduced herself as Pam. She was very friendly but when I told her that Harry and I wanted to stay together, she informed me, "I do need to speak to each of you privately because of the subject matter. It won't take very long and then you can continue to wait together."

Harry looked worried but I assured him, "Just answer her questions, Baby. I'll be right outside." When it came to my turn, he waited outside with Officer Michaels. It was then I understood the need for confidentiality, when she started asking me questions about the nature of my injuries and what kind of abuse I had endured, especially whether I had been sexually molested or abused in any way. Thankfully that was a no on my part and hopefully it was the same for Harry. When I was finished and he came back into the room to sit next to me, I asked, "That wasn't so bad, right?"

He shook his head and gave me a forced smile. This was hard on him, I could tell. It was hard on me, too, but he had been so much more sheltered than I ever had.

Two doctors came to complete our exams, Dr. Edmund Beroni and Dr. Sonya Farid. They explained that if at any time, we wanted to be examined separately or by a doctor of the same gender, they would accommodate us, but we chose to stay in the same room.

I gasped at the sight of Harry's torso when he removed his shirt to show them the bruising. I had seen it all but it looked so much more ghastly under the fluorescent hospital lights. The doctor didn't think he had any broken ribs but he wanted Harry to get a CT scan since Theodore had knocked him in the head a few times.

When it was my turn, Dr. Beroni inspected the gunshot wound and seemed to think it was healing well, but due to the fact that Benjamin Blake wasn't a medical doctor, he ordered an X-ray of my shoulder to find out if there was any lingering injury or new injury, specifically from arrest attempt. It was definitely more sore than it had been so I welcomed the diagnostic exam.

"Do you need any pain medications?" He asked and I gratefully accepted. On that note, I asked Harry, "Did you tell them about the medications you've been taking?"

He shook his head. "I haven't taken anything since before we tried to escape. Theodore didn't give me anything."

"What!?" I asked, consumed with fury. "Did it make you sick when you didn't have them?"

He shrugged. "I guess so. I got a couple bad headaches and I threw up a few times."

I hugged him soundly; I hated that he had gone through that alone. I then explained everything about the medications to both doctors, every single drug Theodore had given him, the exact doses and the side effects. Then I told them about the overdose and the first round of withdrawals after that. "So we really don't know that he ever needed any of that medication," I said. "But he was taking Singulair and he had an asthma inhaler, so I'd hate for him to go without those if he needs them. I know the pharmacy where he had them filled, if that helps. But neither of us has a great understanding of his medical history."