Chapter Fourteen

Kane couldn't help but stare out the window from the second they reached the gates of the town. Maysville. It was beautiful. The entire town was filled with giant, elegant houses and littered with parks and lakes and community gardens. Kane had seen human towns like this, but in all of his life, he had never seen a town of wolves this nice.

He had expected them to find the house after only a few minutes, but they were still driving. The town seemed to be endless. It was in the middle of nowhere, and yet it was bigger than all the packs in his area combined.

He stared out the window with wide, interested eyes. He wondered what it would have been like to grow up in this place that seemed endless. He glanced over at Nora, her eyes didn't hold half the interest that his own did. Of course, she had seen these views countless times, but stupidly, he still expected some awe in her gaze.

"Take a left here," Nora told Sebastian.

Kane looked at his parents in the front of the car. His father seemed to be just as dumbfounded as he was. He had been staring at the town with wide eyes as he drove. Kane glanced at his mother, but she was texting, just as she had been for the past ten minutes.

"Are you texting Aunt Linda again?" He asked her. "I'm sure Grace will be fine."

Scarlett glanced over her shoulder at him. "I'm more worried about what Heath and Peyton will get up to with two days together."

"I'm sure Aunt Linda will keep a close eye on them," Kane assured her.

Scarlett went back to texting. "I hope so," she muttered.

Kane felt a hand in his own. He looked over at Nora who had scooted closer to him on the back seat. She was looking at him with wide, happy eyes. "I'm so glad you guys came here, even after everything that happened."

Kane smiled back. He was glad too. His father had considered cancelling the trip after the rogue attack, if you could even call it an attack. However, he changed his mind at the last minute and allowed them to go for just one night. Kane was glad to have a bit of a break from everyone. This way he could spend two days just focussing on Nora, and no one else. He really planned on taking Adam's words to heart.

"I'm happy it worked out. I can't wait to meet your family."

Nora beamed. "They are going to love you!"

Her hand was warm in his. He hoped that this meeting went well, for her sake. She had been let down enough over the past few days. She didn't need anything else going wrong. He promised himself that he'd be on his best behaviour.

"That's the house," Nora told everyone. Her finger pointed between the front seats and at the huge house at the top of the street. It hung high above the houses around it, and made them look small in comparison. It was a mansion, multiple stories high with giant windows that watched out over the streets. Kane half expected the house to be fake, empty and cardboard inside. It was unlike anything he'd ever seen in person before. It was elaborate to say the least.

"Oh my," Scarlet gasped.

"How many people live here?" Kane asked. His entire pack could have squeezed into that house.

"Almost the whole family," Nora replied. "It's been in my family since the pack was founded."

"Your uncle is the Alpha, is that right?" Sebastian asked.

"Yes. He is expecting us."

They parked on the long driveway, next to a couple of other cars. Kane felt more nervous as they approached the house. Nora must have noticed as she was by his side in an instant, her fingers wrapping around his.