Chapter Twenty-Eight

Kane tugged on Mason's hand. He liked the feeling of their hands intertwined between them. Kane tried not to think about the fact that it was as close to Mason as he could physically get. Instead, he just enjoyed the feeling of the warm hand in his own. "Let's go," he told him as he took a step, "or we are going to be late."

Mason let him lead them towards the car. "Do we have to go?" he asked as they got closer.

Kane stopped walking. He turned back to Mason. "You don't want to go to Tyler's?" he asked, watching Mason's expression.

"I don't know," Mason told him with a shrug. He seemed conflicted. "It's kind of awkward going to a dinner to celebrate a road trip."

"You know that's not what it really is," Kane explained. "I just want to tell them what's been going on. They deserve to know the truth."

Mason seemed to consider that for a moment. He tapped the tip of his converse against the pavement. "We don't even know what's going on," he replied in a small voice.

Kane tilted his head. "What do you mean?"

Mason let go of Kane's hand. He came to stand against the side of the car. He ran a hand through his hair and Kane didn't miss that it caused the edge of his black t-shirt to rise up, showing the skin underneath. "I guess this is a lot," he mumbled.

Kane took a few steps closer to him, his hand suddenly feeling colder than the rest of his body. His expression matched the concerned one that covered Mason's features. "You mean us?"

Kane considered what Mason had said. He was right, this was a lot. In the last twenty-four hours they had found out not only that he and Nora really weren't mates, but also that Mason might just be his mate after all. Kane sighed. He hadn't asked Mason if he was okay. There was a small part of Kane that worried about what Mason was thinking. Did he want to be his mate after all?

Mason nodded. "Yes, but not in a bad way. It's just, what we found out yesterday was more than a surprise. I knew that there was something between us, but having a question mark around us being mates is confusing."

Kane smiled. "It's funny, because I think the opposite."

Mason furrowed his eyebrows. "How?"

Kane smiled at him. "Me and Nora, now that was confusing. Me wanting to be with you, despite having a mate, that was confusing as all hell. Now, that's all gone and I feel like I can see clearly for the first time. It's you and me. We are mates. I don't see a question mark." Kane was going to stop there, but he knew that he could trust Mason with his real feelings. He added, "It kind of scares me that you do."

Mason shook his head quickly. "No, no. It's not that. It's not that I don't want to be with you or that I think we aren't mates. It's just that it's scary knowing that there's some crazy spell stopping us from having a mate connection. I'm worried about that, not about you and me."

Any worry that Kane held before was free to fly out the window in that moment. He was overcome with a sense of determination. "We will reverse the spell."

Mason's lips turned into a small smile. "You seem sure of that."

"I am," Kane told him with certainty. He reached over and linked their fingers, not caring if anyone saw. "When I heard that Nora and I weren't real mates, it was like everything fell into place. I know now why all of this happened. It was always supposed to be you and me. There's no way that this was all for nothing."

"Really?"

"Really."

"You're sure it's me and not someone else?" Mason asked with a small smile.