Chapter Twenty-One

The windows were down in the car. The wind blew through Kane's hair, pushing it away from his face. He glanced over at Mason, who was staring out the window. Kane wondered what he was thinking about. Was he thinking about their conversations in the garden? Kane was. He was thinking about how right he had been about Mason, who didn't judge him for even a second, even when he explained the almost kiss with Wyatt at the party. He had just laid next to him, listening and nodding along, and when Kane couldn't speak anymore, he wrapped an arm around his shoulders and told him how strong he was. Kane didn't know what to say to that. No one had told him that he had been strong about the whole situation. He, in fact, was convinced that he had been dealing with it all quite poorly. Yet, Mason sat before him and told him that he was brave and strong and that he couldn't imagine how hard the last month had been for him. Kane didn't know what he did to deserve a friend like Mason.

Kane glanced down at the rose that sat haphazardly in the cup holder next to his seat. The bright yellow stood out against the darkness of the car. How was he going to explain the rose to Nora? He wondered. The truth wasn't something to hide, but there was something unspeakable that made him want to hide the rose from Nora's eyes. Perhaps she wouldn't be home when they arrived. That would make things easier. Then he wouldn't be walking in with a rose in his hand. He second guessed his thoughts. The rose was innocent. A sign of friendship. Why should it be hidden?

Kane pulled into his street. To his surprise, two cars were parked in the street. He drove around them and parked in the driveway. "We are here," he told Mason. "Apparently so are my friends."

Mason glanced at the cars. "Whose cars are those?"

"Adam and Violet's."

"Are you expecting them?"

"Violet picked up Nora this morning so she's probably dropping her home, but I don't know why Adam's here," he explained. Kane turned the car off. He had just opened his car door as Mason spoke.

"Do you want me to go?" he asked.

Kane froze in his actions. He shook his head quickly. "Of course not."

Mason's eyes were on the house. "I don't know how kindly Adam would take to having me here."

"What makes you say that?"

Adams words floated around Kane's head in neon lights. Stay away from Mason. For a moment, he wondered if Mason had found out about Adam had said. I saw the way he looked at you.

"The last time we were together I challenged him and he accused me of going on a suicide mission."

Kane remembered what happened at Tyler's house. "Oh. That."

"Yeah."

"You're my friend, Mason. I want you here. Even if Adam isn't over what happened, which he probably is, it doesn't really matter. Adam might be my Alpha, but he does respect my decisions."

Mason nodded. His demeanour calmed. "Okay."

Kane got out of the car. He took a deep breath in. He couldn't help but notice that he felt so much calmer with Mason by his side. He knew that once they walked through that door he would be back to playing house with Nora, but it didn't seem so hopeless now. He knew that Mason had his back, and if he had nothing, he had that.

Kane passed the rose between his hands as he walked towards the porch steps. He stopped in his tracks when he felt Mason's hand wrap around his wrist. "Wait," Mason said.

Kane turned. "What's wrong?" Mason stepped to the side of the house, taking Kane's wrist with him. Kane followed. "Are you okay?"

Mason let go of his hand. "I just wanted to say something before we go in."